Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Treasure Island meeting Tuesday night to discuss beach renourishment

Sunset Beach in Treasure Island is among the first beaches set for renourish-
ment. A public meeting tonight will discuss setting a slight delay.

DIRK SHADD | Times

Sunset Beach in Treasure Island is among the first beaches set for renourish- ment. A public meeting tonight will discuss setting a slight delay.

TREASURE ISLAND — A start date to renourish the city's beaches has been pushed back several times in the past year and now the city is asking for a few days' delay to avoid a conflict with the throngs of beachgoers expected during the Fourth of July weekend.

The city has asked the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers whether it could begin the $16.1 million project a few days later than its current expected start.

The corps had originally scheduled sand replacement to begin in October, then May and finally July 19. But then it was bumped up to July 2.

A public meeting to discuss details of the renourishment time line will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. tonight at City Hall, 120 108th Ave.

Representatives from the Pinellas County Coastal Management and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will discuss details meeting about replacing sand on beaches on Treasure Island and parts of St. Pete Beach.

The first sand is scheduled to be pumped onto Sunshine Beach followed by Sunset Beach.

Upham Beach and Pass-a-Grille Beach in St. Pete Beach are next.

The federal government has paid for 60 percent of Pinellas County's beach restoration projects with the remaining 40 percent paid for by state and local funds.

Treasure Island meeting Tuesday night to discuss beach renourishment 06/09/14 [Last modified: Monday, June 9, 2014 11:44pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Study: Tampa Bay a top market for homebuyers on the move

    Real Estate

    The Tampa Bay area is among the top markets for homebuyers who are likely to move in the next few months, ATTOM Data Solutions says.

    The Tampa Bay area is among the top markets for homebuyers who are likely to move in the next few months, a survey found.
[Associated Press file photo]
  2. Tampa lawyer Fred Ridley to be new chairman of Augusta National, Masters' home (w/ video)

    Golf

    AUGUSTA, Ga. — Fred Ridley first came to Augusta National to compete in the 1976 Masters as the U.S. Amateur champion, and he played the opening round in the traditional pairing with the defending champion, Jack Nicklaus.

  3. Rays send down Chase Whitley, Andrew Kittredge; add Chih-Wei Hu, activate Alex Cobb

    Blogs

    After having to cover more than five innings following a short start by Austin Pruitt, the Rays shuffled their bullpen following Wednesday's game, sending down RHPs Chase Whitley and Andrew Kittredge,

    The Kittredge move was expected, as he was summoned to add depth to the pen Wednesday in advance of RHP Alex …

  4. MLB commissioner Rob Manfred moves closer to wanting a decision on Rays stadium

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred called Wednesday for urgency from Tampa Bay area government leaders to prioritize and move quicker on plans for a new Rays stadium.

    MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred talks with reporters at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017.
  5. Six home runs doom Rays in loss to Blue Jays (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — A curve that didn't bounce was the difference Wednesday as the Rays lost 7-6 to the Blue Jays in front of 8,264, the smallest Tropicana field crowd since Sept. 5, 2006.

    Tampa Bay Rays shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria (11) greets center fielder Kevin Kiermaier (39) at the plate after his two run home run in the third inning of the game between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2017.