Clear56° WeatherClear56° Weather

Allen abandons bid for NATO post

Several media outlets reported Wednesday that Gen. John Allen is withdrawing his nomination to become top commander of NATO forces in Europe.

NBC News cited three military officials who said that Allen, caught up and later cleared in a scandal over emails with Tampa socialite Jill Kelley, is likely to withdraw from consideration.

Allen's nomination had been put on hold during a Pentagon investigation of emails that he exchanged with Kelley. The emails came to light in the fallout of the scandal over former CIA director David Petraeus' affair.

The investigation last month cleared Allen, 59, of professional misconduct, but U.S. military officials said that Allen does not want to drag his family through a nomination process in which the emails would almost certainly come up, NBC reported.

Allen was previously the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan. Before being deployed to Afghanistan, Allen was deputy commander and then acting commander of Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base from 2008 to 2011.

Allen abandons bid for NATO post 02/13/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:23pm]

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...