Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Airman found dead at MacDill Air Force Base

TAMPA — An airman was found dead in his room at MacDill Air Force Base this week, the base announced Wednesday.

Air Force Airman 1st Class Marco Ford, assigned to 6th Logistics Readiness Squadron, was found at 10 p.m. Monday. The base did not release a cause of death or any details about how he died.

Ford's mother, Rosalyn Clark of New York, told the St. Petersburg Times that officers had informed her they believed her son's death was suicide. But she said there were too many unanswered questions for her to accept that theory on its face.

Ford, 22, was born in Jamaica and emigrated with his family to New York at age 8, Clark said.

He spent two years in Brooklyn College before he decided the school wasn't preparing him for what he saw as his 12-year plan and opted to join the Air Force.

Clark said both she and her 9-year-old daughter spoke to Ford on Saturday and they discussed his plan to trade in his vehicle.

"He had all these plans," she said during a tearful phone interview. "It doesn't make sense."

Authorities informed her that Ford was found in his apartment's bathroom with a gunshot wound to the head, she said.

The bullet went into a pipe and caused the apartment to flood, drawing the attention of other residents and management, Clark said.

She said Wednesday she was sure her son was not assigned a sidearm and questioned where the gun came from.

She said she has turned over everything she knows to the investigators in hopes her questions can be answered as she prepares to bury her son.

"On behalf of the MacDill family, I want to express our sympathy to the friends and family of Marco during this time of sorrow," Col. Lenny Richoux, the 6th Air Mobility Wing commander, said in a statement.

Times staff writer William Levesque contributed to this report.

Airman found dead at MacDill Air Force Base 04/06/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:53pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.