Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

'Worst case' budget cuts could eliminate 1,200 MacDill jobs

Talk of job cuts at MacDill comes at a time when it is already coping with furloughs of much of its civilian workforce.

MELISSA LYTTLE | Times (2011)

Talk of job cuts at MacDill comes at a time when it is already coping with furloughs of much of its civilian workforce.

TAMPA — More than 1,200 jobs could be lost at MacDill Air Force Base's two combat commands starting in late 2014 under a tentative plan to downsize the military with $500 billion in looming automatic budget cuts.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel provided a dire warning Wednesday that unless Congress and President Obama compromise on averting across-the-board cuts — so-called sequestration reductions — military readiness will be imperiled.

Hagel said 20 percent cuts at combat commands may prove necessary. For U.S. Central Command and Special Operations Command at MacDill, that would total at least 1,200 jobs lost.

Hagel's tough talk comes even as MacDill is coping with furloughs of much of its civilian workforce imposed by fiscal 2013 sequester cuts. Local business leaders, who point to MacDill's $4.9 billion economic impact in the Tampa Bay area, worry about the long-term hit to the local economy.

"It's huge," said Bob Rohrlack, president and CEO of the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce, who said the chamber and business leaders must lobby lawmakers to avert cuts.

"We view MacDill as one of the commerce drivers in the market. … If you wait until they say, 'Hey, you're being cut,' then you're at (the Pentagon's) mercy," he said.

Several members of the local congressional delegation, including Rep. Kathy Castor, D-Tampa, and Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Indian Shores, could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Starting last month, about 2,200 civilian workers at MacDill began furloughs of one day a week for 11 weeks. The 6th Air Mobility Wing initially reported 3,500 furloughs across MacDill but later lowered the figure.

"I know there's politics in all of this," Hagel said. "But what we're trying to project here is not crying wolf or not trying to overstate or over hype."

Officials at CentCom and SOCom, the commands that spearheaded the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, said it was premature to discuss cuts that, if approved, would be implemented Oct. 1.

"We don't have enough detail at this point," said CentCom spokesman Mark Blackington. "We don't want to guess."

SOCom currently has 2,500 military and civilian employees at MacDill, CentCom 5,000. CentCom, however, already planned to cut 1,100 workers next year with the end of operations in Afghanistan. It appears a 20 percent cut would be made on CentCom's reduced workforce.

Some contend the Pentagon's continued warnings about a reduced military are misplaced and argue the Pentagon has faced cuts after the ends of conflicts such as World War II.

"A $500 billion reduction from the current projection would be consistent with prior defense drawdowns, not a 'strategic miscalculation,' " Gordon Adams, a professor at the School of International Service at American University, said in a ForeignPolicy.com essay.

Hagel's proposed cuts, he said, barely touch the Pentagon's bloated bureaucracy.

"Where once we had twice as many active-duty combat forces as civil servants, we now have more civil servants and 'ghost' civil servants than we have soldiers, sailors and pilots," he wrote.

Four years after World War II, Adams said, the Pentagon had cut its Civil Service force in half.

Military analyst Winslow Wheeler told the Tampa Bay Times that Hagel's cuts become more severe several years after reductions begin.

Cuts, he said, are "biased toward the out years — the ones that never happen as presumed."

William R. Levesque can be reached at levesque@tampabay.com or (813) 226-3432.

'Worst case' budget cuts could eliminate 1,200 MacDill jobs 08/01/13 [Last modified: Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:48pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. No toll lanes north of downtown Tampa in three of four interstate proposals

    Transportation

    TAMPA — Express lanes may not be coming to downtown Tampa after all. Or at least not to the stretch of Interstate 275 that goes north through Bearss Avenue.

    Seminole Heights resident Kimberly Overman discusses the new interstate options with V.M. Ybor resident Chris Vela (left), Hillsborough County Commissioner Pat Kemp and HNTB consultant Chloe Coney during a Tampa Bay Express meeting Monday night at the Barrymore Hotel. [CAITLIN JOHNSTON  |  Times]
  2. No lack of issues facing St. Petersburg's six council candidates

    Elections

    ST. PETERSBURG — The six candidates for City Council gathered Monday evening in the very chamber to which they aspire to serve.

    St. Petersburg City Council candidates (from left)  Brandi Gabbard and Barclay Harless in District 2; Jerick Johnston and incumbent council member Darden Rice in District 4; and Justin Bean and Gina Driscoll of District 6. All six candidates appeared at Monday night's forum at City Hall sponsored by the League of Women Voters. [CHERIE DIEZ   |   Times]

  3. Iraq's Kurds vote on independence, raising regional fears

    World

    IRBIL, Iraq — Iraqi Kurds voted Monday in a landmark referendum on supporting independence, a move billed by the Kurdish leadership as an exercise in self-determination but viewed as a hostile act by Iraq's central government. Neighboring Turkey even threatened a military response.

    People celebrate Monday after voting closed in a referendum on independence in Irbil, Iraq.
  4. North Korean diplomat says Trump has 'declared war'

    War

    UNITED NATIONS — North Korea's top diplomat said Monday that President Donald Trump's weekend tweet was a "declaration of war" and North Korea has the right to retaliate by shooting down U.S. bombers, even in international airspace.

    North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho, center, speaks outside the U.N. Plaza Hotel in New York on Monday.
  5. Pinellas grants St. Pete's request to add millions to pier budget

    Local Government

    Times Staff Writer

    The Pinellas County Commission has granted St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman's request to dedicate millions more toward the city's new pier.

    The St. Petersburg City Council on Thursday  voted 7-1 to appropriate $17.6 million for the over-water portion of the Pier District. This is a rendering of what the new Pier District could look like. [Courtesy of St. Petersburg]