In observance of Veterans Day today, several groups around Hernando County have planned special events.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9236 and Ladies Auxiliary will recognize veterans with a ceremony at 11 a.m. at the post, 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Daniela Serricchio will open with the national anthem. The speaker will be retired Maj. Gen. M.T. Smith of the U.S. Air Force.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8713 and Ladies Auxiliary will observe Veterans Day with a service and flag presentation at 11 a.m. at Tangerine Cove Nursing Home on Howell Avenue, Brooksville. Baskets of needed items will be given to the veterans at the home. For information, call the post at (352) 796-4449.
• The Florida National Cemetery's annual Veterans Day ceremony will be at 11 a.m. at 6502 SW 102nd Ave., off Interstate 75, Exit 309, south of Bushnell. The speaker will be Rear Adm. LeRoy Collins Jr., executive director of the Florida Department of Veterans Affairs. The master of ceremonies will be Steve Jerve of WFLA-Ch. 8 of Tampa.
The Olympia High School Band from Orlando will perform patriotic music and there will be singing of patriotic songs by Linda Burnette and Laura Riley. Naomi McClain will perform on the bagpipes and John Duarte and Gayle Williams will play Echo Taps. The Florida National Guard will provide the gun salute and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8681 of Shady Hills will post the colors. There will also be a flyover by the Ye Mystic Air Krewe.
Seating will be limited. Visitors are encouraged to arrive early, bring lawn chairs or blankets and listen to the patriotic and inspirational musical prelude before the ceremony. The cemetery's visitors' center will be open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For information, call (352) 793-7740.
Also, these business and government offices will be closed today in recognition of Veterans Day:
• Hernando County libraries, all branches
• Hernando County government offices
• THE Bus and Trans-Hernando public transportation
• Supervisor of elections offices
• U.S. Postal Service
• Local banks
• Hernando County Sheriff's Office
• Hernando County public schools
• Hernando County Recreation Department
• Greater Hernando County Chamber of Commerce
• Florida Department of Children and Families
• Pasco-Hernando Community College, all campuses
• Southwest Florida Water Management District
• Brooksville Police Department offices
• Brooksville City Hall
• City of Brooksville Sanitation Division: Tuesday pickups will be on Wednesday.