Tragedy in Detroit
Boy, 11, charged in death of 3-year-old
An 11-year-old Detroit boy has been charged with manslaughter in the fatal shooting of a 3-year-old, the first such case that a prosecutor could recall involving a person so young.
Prosecutors said in a statement that the 11-year-old boy had been visiting his father on the east side of Detroit on Monday when he took a handgun from a bedroom closet and jumped into a vehicle parked in the yard. The 3-year-old got into the car with the boy, who was not identified, and was shot in the face, the statement said.
The family of the 3-year-old, Elijah Walker, has started a GoFundMe page asking for help with funeral expenses.
The Detroit Free Press reported that the 11-year-old was charged with manslaughter Wednesday afternoon at a preliminary hearing in juvenile court.
"I cannot remember a time when we have charged someone so young with taking a life," the Wayne County prosecutor, Kym L. Worthy, said in the statement. "Very unfortunately and very tragically, the alleged facts in this case demanded it."
New York Times