Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Boy also sues, gets on lung donor list

PHILADELPHIA — A dying girl has been placed on the adult waiting list for donated lungs amid a court fight over the nation's transplant rules with help from a judge who granted another petition Thursday from a boy at the same hospital.

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network added 10-year-old Sarah Murnaghan to the list Wednesday night after a federal judge ordered Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to suspend a 12-and-over age requirement.

Sarah, who has end-stage cystic fibrosis, also remains on the priority list for a set of pediatric lungs, Sebelius said. The girl's family, through a spokeswoman, said her condition had worsened Thursday at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.

The mother of an 11-year-old New York City boy hospitalized there filed a lawsuit Thursday, and U.S. District Judge Michael Baylson likewise granted that request on the grounds the boy was otherwise facing death. Javier Acosta, who also has cystic fibrosis and lost a brother to the disease, is in intensive care.

The families challenge existing transplant policy that made children under 12 wait for pediatric lungs to become available or be offered lungs donated by adults after adolescents and adults on the waiting list had been considered. They say pediatric lungs are rarely donated.

"The rule's not working. And they're reconsidering it, but ... Javier, Sarah, they would die in the meantime," said lawyer Stephen Harvey, who represents both families.

The court rulings, for now, apply only to these two children.

An expert questioned the decisions on medical and ethical grounds.

"When a judge steps in and says, 'I don't like these rules, I think they're arbitrary,' they better be very arbitrary or he's undermining the authority of the whole system," said Dr. Arthur Caplan, a bioethicist at New York University Langone Medical Center.

Baylson temporarily suspended the age limit for the two families until a June 14 hearing on their request for a broader injunction.

Boy also sues, gets on lung donor list 06/06/13 [Last modified: Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:35pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Quiet college dropout turned bomber: Who was Salman Abedi?

    World

    LONDON — He was quiet and withdrawn, a college dropout who liked soccer — and, some say, showed alarming signs of being radicalized years before he walked into a pop concert at Britain's Manchester Arena and detonated a powerful bomb, killing himself and 22 others.

    Salman Abedi was identified by British authorities as the man behind Monday’s attack.
  2. Soldiers launch attacks in besieged Philippine city

    World

    MARAWI, Philippines — Backed by tanks and rocket-firing helicopters, Philippine troops launched "precision attacks" Thursday to clear extremists linked to the Islamic State group from a city that has been under siege since a raid that failed to capture one of Asia's most-wanted militants.

    Soldiers fire at enemy positions Thursday while trying to clear the city of Marawi, Philippines, of armed militants.
  3. Back to .500, Rays feel ready to roll (w/video)

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Who wants to be mediocre? Middling? Average? Run-of-the-mill?

    Rays catcher Jesus Sucre tags out the Angels’ Mike Trout trying to score from second base after a perfect peg from rightfielder Steven Souza Jr. in the first inning.
  4. Seminole man accused of fracturing 8-month-old baby's leg

    Crime

    Deputies arrested a Seminole man Thursday after he fractured an 8-month-old baby's bones, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said.

    Gary G. Gibeault of Seminole was arrested on a charge of aggravated child abuse.
  5. St. Petersburg's ballooning sewage debt could threaten credit rating (but there's a Hail Mary plan to avoid that)

    Local Government

    ST. PETERSBURG — The city needs a lot of money — $435 million over the next five years — most of it to fix its leaky sewer pipes and aging sewer plants.

    In September 2016, signs at St. Petersburg’s North Shore Park warned people to stay out of the water due to contamination from sewage released by the city’s overwhelmed sewer system. The City Council on Thursday learned that the very expensive fix for its sewage woes could hamper the city’s credit rating. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]