Clear91° WeatherClear91° Weather

CBS correspondent, producer must take leaves over flawed Benghazi report

NEW YORK — CBS ordered 60 Minutes correspondent Lara Logan and her producer to take a leave of absence Tuesday following an internal review of their October story on the Benghazi raid, based on a report on a supposed witness whose story can't be verified.

The review, by CBS News executive Al Ortiz, said the 60 Minutes team should have done a better job vetting the story that featured a security contractor, Dylan Davies, who said he was at the U.S. mission in Libya the night it was attacked last year. CBS News later said he lied to them in the report.

The report also said Logan should not have done the story in the first place after making a speech in Chicago a year ago saying it was a lie that America's military had tamed al-Qaida.

Ortiz said that Logan's claims that al-Qaida carried out the attack and controlled the hospital in Benghazi "were not adequately attributed in the report."

CBS News chairman Jeff Fager, who is also the 60 Minutes executive producer, said he had asked Logan and her producer, Max McClellan, to take a leave of absence of an undetermined length.

The attack on Sept. 11, 2012, killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

CBS correspondent, producer must take leaves over flawed Benghazi report

11/26/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 10:05pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...