Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Dramatic rescue of construction worker trapped by fire is caught on video

HOUSTON — Gusty winds turned what had been a small rooftop fire into a massive blaze that destroyed a large apartment complex under construction near downtown Houston, authorities said.

The Tuesday fire gutted the 396-unit, 4½-acre Axis Apartments project in the city's hip Montrose district. The roof and the shell of the expansive structure collapsed as the flames turned it into a charred ruin.

All construction workers who had been in the high-rise building were accounted for, and no injuries have been reported. One man was dramatically rescued as he prepared to jump to safety, Fire Capt. Ruy Lozano said. Witnesses watched in horror as the worker was forced to a balcony by the flames, then leaped to a balcony below to escape the blaze.

Fire officials said more than 200 emergency personnel battled the fire for 2½ hours before bringing it under control.

Witnesses said the fire started about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday on the northeastern corner of the roof but spread rapidly through a breezeway.

"There was a report of a couple of guys working on the roof doing welding," Houston Fire Department Deputy Chief Greg Lewis said. "When our units arrived, there was a small fire and construction workers were attempting to put it out. There was sustained wind of 15 to 20 miles an hour, and it was a wind driven fire."

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, Lozano said.

The department said the blaze that sent thick, black smoke billowing in to the sky prompted the evacuation of nearby buildings.

Firefighters also sprayed nearby houses and apartment buildings with water to prevent heat and embers from spreading the fire. No other buildings were damaged, but plastic fixtures melted on some nearby vehicles.

Dramatic rescue of construction worker trapped by fire is caught on video 03/26/14 [Last modified: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:03pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.