Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Immigration plan sets 2011 cutoff date for eligibility

WASHINGTON — As a bipartisan group of eight senators prepared to introduce a plan early next week to overhaul the nation's immigration laws, Senate negotiators have agreed to a cutoff date that could bar hundreds of thousands of immigrants from the path to legalization provided in the legislation.

Illegal immigrants who arrived in the country after Dec. 31, 2011, could be ineligible to apply for legal status — and potentially citizenship — under the new immigration bill, which will provide a 13-year path to citizenship for the 11 million immigrants already living in the country illegally.

Every bill that legalizes immigrants has a cutoff date for eligibility, to discourage a surge of people who have heard about potential legislation. Immigration advocates and Democrats in the group had been pushing for the date to be as current as possible — Jan. 1, 2013 — while Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., who is a member of the group of eight, originally argued for 2008.

The Dec. 31, 2011, deadline represented a compromise, as well as something of a victory for Rubio.

"We understand the need for a cutoff date, but it should be 2013, not 2011," said Frank Sharry, executive director of America's Voice, a pro-immigration group. "The goal of the legislation is to transform a broken immigration system into a legal one. Leaving a few hundred thousand immigrants in limbo is contrary to that goal."

On Friday, one of the final hurdles for the broad legislation was eliminated when farm workers and growers reached a deal after several weeks of stalled talks.

Rubio, whose support will be critical to selling the legislation to reluctant conservatives, has repeatedly called for a transparent process with multiple public hearings. He is now working with the Republican Policy Committee to hold hearings on the immigration legislation. An aide to Rubio said he was also reaching out to other senators, including Democrats, to try to find a way to hold additional bipartisan hearings.

As the final details of the plan emerge in advance of its likely rollout on Tuesday, most of the legislative language has been written. The group has agreed on a 13-year path to citizenship (10 years for a green card, and three more for naturalization), a series of border security requirements, an electronic employment verification program, a merit-based program for foreign workers to become legal permanent residents and a plan to clear the backlogs of those immigrants who have applied legally for green cards.

Immigration plan sets 2011 cutoff date for eligibility 04/12/13 [Last modified: Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:11am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Deputies: Tampa man killed after car strikes tree

    Accidents

    TOWN 'N COUNTRY — A 24-year-old man was killed early Sunday after he lost control of his car, causing it to hit a pine tree.

  2. O.J. Simpson had a 'conflict-free life'? Not really, not in Florida

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — When O.J. Simpson told a Nevada parole board last week that he's led a "conflict-free life," he seemed to overlook a few episodes that had him cycling in and out of courtrooms and jail cells for nearly 20 years before the Las Vegas hotel-room heist that sent him to prison in 2008.

    Former NFL football star O.J. Simpson appears via video for his parole hearing at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nev., on Thursday, July 20, 2017.  Simpson was granted parole Thursday after more than eight years in prison for a Las Vegas hotel heist, successfully making his case in a nationally televised hearing that reflected America's enduring fascination with the former football star.  [The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP]
  3. Baby Charlie protesters to rally as hospital reports threats

    World

    LONDON — Protesters who want critically ill British baby Charlie Gard to receive an experimental medical treatment are planning a rally and prayer vigil Sunday, while hospital officials say emotions are running so high in the heart-breaking case they have received death threats.

    Reverend Patrick Mahoney from Washington DC, centre, speaks to the media outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London, as he joins other Charlie Gard supporters, Sunday July 23, 2017. Protesters who want critically ill British baby Charlie Gard to receive an experimental medical treatment gathered for a rally and prayer vigil Sunday, while hospital officials say emotions are running so high in the heart-breaking case they have received death threats. [Associated Press]