Clear62° WeatherClear62° Weather

L.A. offers $1 million for information on fugitive ex-cop

LOS ANGELES —The city of Los Angeles on Sunday announced a $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest and capture of Christopher Jordan Dorner, a former Los Angeles police officer who is suspected of killing three people and wounding two others.

"We will not tolerate anyone undermining the security of the community," Mayor Antonio Villarai­gosa said at a news conference. "We will not tolerate this reign of terror."

Police Chief Charlie Beck said the reward was "the largest local reward ever offered, to our knowledge." The reason for such a significant reward, Beck said, was "not about capturing a fleeing suspect, but about preventing another crime, likely another murder."

"This is an act of domestic terrorism," Beck said of those killed and allegedly targeted by Dorner. "He has targeted those we entrust to protect the public."

A manhunt for Dorner, 33, began last week after he allegedly began a deadly campaign that has left an Irvine couple and a Riverside police officer dead. Dorner is believed to be upset over his firing from the Police Department in 2009.

The city of Los Angeles, law enforcement organizations, private groups and anonymous donors have contributed to the reward fund, according to law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation.

The frustrating search for Dorner has spanned from Riverside to Corona to Big Bear to Point Loma in San Diego.

Dorner's Nissan Titan pickup was found Thursday morning engulfed in flames on a mountain road in the Big Bear area, and law enforcement officials have since focused their search there.

Officials said Sunday the search in Big Bear was winding down.

L.A. offers $1 million for information on fugitive ex-cop 02/10/13 [Last modified: Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:06pm]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...