Lawmakers call for delays in health care law

An updated healthcare.gov homepage does not feature the smiling brunette whose happy disposition struck a discordant note for people unable to access the website.

An updated healthcare.gov homepage does not feature the smiling brunette whose happy disposition struck a discordant note for people unable to access the website.

WASHINGTON — Lawmakers from both major political parties on Sunday expressed concern over the botched rollout of the new federal health insurance website, with two Senate Democrats saying the problems are serious enough to justify delays to key provisions of the president's health care law.

Republicans said that the issues were symptomatic of larger problems with the law and that many of the disadvantages of the program are becoming apparent now that people are starting to be able to see the quality and cost of the coverage available.

The GOP lawmakers said they intend to press Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on the troubled launch of healthcare.gov, the online portal to buy insurance, and concerns about the privacy of information that applicants submit under the new system.

The Obama administration will face intense pressure this week to be more forthcoming about how many people have succeeded in enrolling for coverage in the new insurance markets. Medicare chief Marilyn Tavenner is to testify during a House hearing on Tuesday, followed Wednesday by Sebelius before the House Energy and Commerce Committee. The officials will also be grilled on how such crippling technical problems could have gone undetected prior to the website's Oct. 1 launch.

"The incompetence in building this website is staggering," Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., said on Fox News Sunday.

Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., took to the Sunday talk shows to press for legislation that they said would give people more time to comply with a rule requiring most Americans to carry health insurance starting next year or face a fine.

Manchin advocated for a bill delaying the so-called individual mandate for a year. Shaheen proposed extending the open enrollment period beyond its end date of March 31 to account for all the people who have not been able to buy coverage thus far because of problems with the website.

"My goal is to fix the Affordable Care Act to make sure those people can get that access to health care," Shaheen said on CBS's Face the Nation.

She said the rollout of the marketplace has been a "disaster" because so many people have been thwarted by technological glitches as they try to view plan options and prices and enroll.

On Friday, Obama administration officials said they would fix the site by the end of November, giving people four months to buy coverage before they incur a penalty of as much as 1 percent of their income. But the administration has resisted proposals to extend any deadlines.

Insurers object to any delays in the mandate or penalty, partly because they set their prices for next year under the assumption that large numbers of young and healthy people, who are cheap to insure, would be compelled by the law to join their patient pools.

Neither Democrat echoed some Republicans' calls for Sebelius to resign. On ABC's This Week, Manchin said he has faith in her ability to lead the implementation of the law.

But Shaheen sidestepped the question, saying the focus should be on fixing the website. "There's going to be plenty of time to place blame," she said.

Several Republicans said the website's problems were minor compared with larger problems with the program now coming to light.

"The president made promises that this was going to be cheaper than your cellphone bill, easier to use than Amazon and you can keep your doctor," Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., said on This Week.

Last week, Kaiser Health News reported that insurance companies from Pennsylvania to Florida have sent notices to hundreds of thousands of people with private insurance plans that their coverage is being terminated at year's end. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, for example, sent cancellation notices to 300,000 people.

The reason for the notices is that starting on Jan. 1, most private insurance plans must cover a set of 10 basic benefits, including maternity and pediatric dental care. Many plans currently sold on the individual market do not cover those benefits, and such plans are being discontinued.

On NBC's Meet the Press, however, Florida Blue Cross Blue Shield chief executive Patrick Geraghty pushed back on the characterization that the plans are being "canceled."

He said people are being told that they cannot keep their current plans, but that they have new options that in some cases are better. For many people, he said, their costs may go down because of government subsidies that will be available to low- and middle-income people on the marketplaces, also known as exchanges.

"We're not cutting people, we're transitioning these people," he said. "What we've been doing is informing people that their plan doesn't meet the test of the essential health benefits. Therefore, they have a choice of many options we make available through the exchange, and in fact, with subsidy, many people will be getting better plans at a lesser cost."

Geraghty acknowledged, however, that some people's costs will go up.

Some consumer advocates worry that the insurance termination letters could be a back-door way for insurers to dump high-cost patients onto the online marketplaces.

Republicans say the letters also prove that the president was wrong when he said people who like their insurance can keep it under the new health care law, a refrain he has repeated at town hall meetings and in interviews.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

Lawmakers call for delays in health care law 10/27/13 [Last modified: Monday, October 28, 2013 12:06am]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Washington Post.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...