Neiman Marcus confirmed Saturday that its customers are at risk after hackers breached the Dallas company's servers and accessed the payment information of those who visited its stores.
The news comes on the heels of a disclosure from Target that a similar data breach at its stores may ultimately affect up to 100 million customers, far more than originally feared. The Neiman breach was first reported Friday by cybersecurity reporter Brian Krebs, who said that there had been a spike in fraudulent credit and debit charges on cards that had been used at Neiman Marcus stores.
The company has offered few concrete details about the scope of the attack, such as what data were taken or how many customers may be at risk. Nor did it say whether data from any of the other retailers it operates — including Bergdorf Goodman, Horchow, Cusp and Last Call — were affected.
In a statement, Neiman Marcus said it was informed of the breach in mid December by its credit card processor and subsequently informed law enforcement officials, including the Secret Service. The company is taking steps to contain the breach and has "taken significant steps to further enhance information security," the statement said.
Neiman Marcus spokeswoman Ginger Reeder declined to provide further information on the attack. A spokesman for the Secret Service also declined to comment.
The company apologized to its customers for the breach through messages on its Twitter feed and said that it is working to notify those whose cards were used fraudulently after visits to Neiman Marcus stores.
Neiman Marcus operates 79 retail locations, including one at International Plaza in Tampa, and reported total sales of $1.1 billion in its most recent quarter, which ended Nov. 2.