NEW ORLEANS — Police on Monday asked the public for its help in identifying two shooters and a third "person of interest" who appear in separate surveillance videos recorded the night of a weekend gunfight that injured 10 people on Bourbon Street in the French Quarters.
Police said the victims were hit when shots rang out about 2:45 a.m. Sunday on the street, a historic thoroughfare of nightspots that is a major destination for visitors in tourist-loving New Orleans. Five remained hospitalized at LSU Hospital, one of them in critical condition.
Police initially said nine people were hit. On Monday, they added a 10th victim, a man who had gone to a police station about 12 hours after the shootings to report that he had been shot. He had a minor chest wound, police said.
Authorities have not made victims' identities and hometowns public but police said some were not from New Orleans. Six women and four men were shot, ranging in age from 17 to 39.
Police placed several views of the shootout online asking for the public's help in identifying the two shooters.
What sparked the shooting remained unclear. It was the third major shooting on Bourbon Street in the past three years.
The scene on Bourbon Street on Monday was business as usual, with music blaring from bars as tourists strolled.