Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pentagon to furlough up to 680,000 civilian workers starting July 8

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon will impose furloughs of 11 days starting July 8 on as many as 680,000 civilian employees in response to the federal budget cuts, according to U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel.

The 11 days — one each week through September — is down from as many as 22 days initially projected and 14 days estimated more recently, Hagel told Defense Department workers Tuesday at a Pentagon facility in Alexandria, Va.

The Defense Department "did everything we could" to avert the unpaid time off, according to Hagel, who said he will reduce the number of days required, if possible, later in the year.

About 68,500 of 750,000 civilian Pentagon employees who are eligible for furloughs will be exempted, according to a 10-page memo from Hagel released Tuesday.

The exemptions include 28,000 civilian workers at Navy shipyards who maintain vessels "because it would be particularly difficult to make up delays in maintenance work on nuclear vessels, and these vessels are critical to mission success," Hagel said in the memo.

Employees involved in intelligence and in handling foreign arms sales also will be exempted, Hagel said.

The automatic spending cuts, called sequestration, took effect March 1.

Furloughs already have begun for other federal employees, including the White House staff.

Congress moved last month to let the Federal Aviation Administration move around funds to stop furloughs of air-traffic controllers that forced delays at the nation's largest airports and provoked anger from travelers.

"I deeply regret this decision," Hagel said in the memo. "I will continue to urge that our nation's leaders reach an agreement to reduce the deficit and de-trigger sequestration."

The Pentagon estimates that it will need to cut $37 billion in the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30, down from $41 billion previously projected in sequestration cuts, after the White House Office of Management and Budget completed recalculations based on a spending bill passed by Congress and signed by President Barack Obama on March 26.

Hagel said that he "can't guarantee" that defense workers will be spared more furloughs next year if sequestration continues.

While most of the federal government received stopgap funding that continued at the previous year's levels, the Pentagon won more flexibility through inclusion of a full appropriations measure.

Based on the revised funding, Pentagon officials said in March that they would reduce planned furloughs to 14 days through September from the 22 days previously estimated, with the goal of saving $2.5 billion from the unpaid leave.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told workers Tuesday that the department “did everything we could” to avert unpaid time off.

McClatchy

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told workers Tuesday that the department “did everything we could” to avert unpaid time off.

Pentagon to furlough up to 680,000 civilian workers starting July 8 05/14/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:30pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Bloomberg News.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Drug czar nominee Marino withdraws name amid report he weakened DEA

    National

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says the Pennsylvania congressman he chose to be the nation's drug czar is withdrawing from consideration for the job.

    U.S. Rep. Tom Marino, R-Pa., left, sponsored the law that weakened the DEA's enforcement abilities. Seen with Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., in 2015, Marino is nominated to be the nation's drug czar. [Andrew Harrer | Bloomberg]
  2. Photo of the Day for October 17, 2017 - Urban possums

    Human Interest

    Today's Photo of the Day comes from Roger Kimble of Tampa, FL.

  3. Exposé 'Champions Way' uses FSU to illustrate bad behavior in college programs

    College

    While the entire college football universe was focused on a sexual assault allegation against quarterback Jameis Winston during Florida State's 2013 national title run, another off-field scandal was playing out quietly.

     Jameis Winston (5) warms up before the game between Florida State Seminoles and the University of Miami Hurricanes at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Fla. on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013.
  4. How a group of Florida tomato growers could help derail NAFTA

    Agriculture

    Tony DiMare, a third-generation Florida tomato grower, has spent two decades contending with cheap Mexican imports, watching his neighbors abandon crops in their fields and sell off their farms when they couldn't match the price of incoming produce.

    Workers fill a trailer with tomatoes as they harvest them in the fields of DiMare Farms in Florida City. [Joe Raedle | Getty Images(2013)]
  5. Pinellas deputies go door-to-door at dawn to arrest unlicensed contractors

    Crime

    Pinellas deputies began pounding on doors at 5 a.m. Tuesday, part of a widespread roundup of contractors accused of working without licences and workers compensation.

    Pinellas Sheriff deputies J. Short, left, and T. Festa, right, arrest suspect Randy Ronchi, center, in Largo early Tuesday, as part of a joint roundup of unlicensed contractors. [SCOTT KEELER | Times]