Remains of Boston Marathon bombing suspect claimed

BOSTON — The body of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was claimed on Thursday.

Department of Public Safety spokesman Terrel Harris said a funeral home retained by Tsarnaev's family picked up the 26-year-old's remains. He had no more information.

The medical examiner determined Tsarnaev's cause of death on Monday, but officials said it wouldn't become public until his remains were released and a death certificate was filed. It was unclear on Thursday evening whether the death certificate had been filed.

Tsarnaev's widow, Katherine Russell, who has been living with her parents in North Kingstown, R.I., wanted it released to his side of the family, her attorney Amato DeLuca said days ago.

Tsarnaev's uncle Ruslan Tsarni, of Maryland, said Tuesday night the family would take the body.

Three of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's friends, college classmates, are accused of helping after the bombing to remove a laptop and backpack from his dormitory room before the FBI searched it.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, asked Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano Thursday for details about the student visa applications for Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev, college roommates from Kazakhstan charged with obstruction of justice. The third student arrested, Robel Phillipos, was charged with willfully making materially false statements to federal law enforcement officials.

Remains of Boston Marathon bombing suspect claimed 05/02/13 [Last modified: Friday, May 3, 2013 12:38am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...