Wake held for victim of Boston bombing



Notebook

Wake held for victim of Boston bombing

Family and friends are saying goodbye to Krystle Campbell, one of the three people killed in the bombing at the Boston Marathon finish line on April 15.

A wake for Campbell was held Sunday at a funeral home in Medford, Mass. That's where the 29-year-old restaurant manager was raised and graduated from high school in 2001. A private funeral is scheduled for today at St. Joseph Church.

Eight-year-old Martin Richard of Boston's Dorchester neighborhood and 23-year-old Lu Lingzi, a Boston University graduate student from China, also died in the attacks. The university is holding a memorial service for Lu on today.

Governor calls for moment of silence

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick is asking residents to observe a moment of silence today at the time the first of two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

The one-minute silent tribute to victims is scheduled for 2:50 p.m. and will be followed by the ringing of bells in Boston and elsewhere in Massachusetts. It marks one week since the attacks that killed three people and wounded more than 170 others.

Patrick issued the call Sunday in a joint appeal with Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and One Fund Boston, a charity set up to help victims of the bombings.

Patrick and Menino say they are humbled by support from the public and the business community.

Thousands run in N.Y., elsewhere in support

Thousands of New Yorkers donned "I Run for Boston" bibs during a 4-mile run Sunday in Central Park, one of a number of races held around the world in support of the victims of the marathon bombings.

"It was really quite a powerful morning," said Mary Wittenberg, CEO of the New York Road Runners.

Wittenberg said later Sunday at another run dedicated to victims that she had been in close communication with Boston Marathon organizers.

"This is one community," Wittenberg said. "After 9/11, we were all New Yorkers. After last Monday, we're all Bostonians. And I just want to add, I think now we've got one world of runners."

More than 6,000 runners took part in Sunday's City Parks Foundation Run for the Parks, which was planned before the bombings on April 15.

Organizers turned it into a show of solidarity by selling "I Run for Boston" T-shirts with proceeds going to the One Fund Boston, the official fund for those affected by the bombing.

Other "Run for Boston" events have taken place around the United States and the world, with many runners wearing blue and yellow, the official Boston Marathon colors.

More than 500 runners gathered in St. Louis on Saturday for a Unity Run. In San Francisco, about 400 people ran 4 miles along the Embarcadero on Friday. A run christened "Boston Strong San Diego" is planned for today.

Bomb suspect's cause of death not declared

Massachusetts' chief medical examiner is still working to figure out exactly what killed the Boston Marathon bombing suspect who unleashed a barrage of gunfire and explosives on police before dying during a getaway attempt.

Terrel Harris of the state Executive Office of Public Safety and Security said Sunday that the medical examiner hasn't determined the cause of death of 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev.

Tsarnaev and his brother, 19-year-old Dzhokhar, are accused of planting two explosives near the marathon finish line.

The older brother was killed during a getaway attempt early Friday. Police say he was run over by a car driven by his brother as he fled the gunfire. The younger brother was captured Friday night after a gunbattle with police and remains hospitalized in serious condition.

Associated Press

Wake held for victim of Boston bombing



04/21/13 [Last modified: Monday, April 22, 2013 2:54am]

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Associated Press.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...