Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Walters to announce 2014 retirement on 'The View'

Barbara Walters, 83, plans to retire after more than 50 years in TV journalism.

Barbara Walters, 83, plans to retire after more than 50 years in TV journalism.

On the program she invented, on the network where she worked for the past 37 years, on the medium where she broke barriers and rules for more than 50 years, Barbara Walters will announce this morning, definitively and with no regrets, that she is calling it a career.

"It's time," Walters said, previewing the announcement she will make to the national television audience watching her daily program, The View.

"I keep thinking of the line from Cabaret," Walters said. " 'When I go, I'm going like Chelsea.' When I go there is not going to be any, 'Please can I have another appearance?' I don't want to do any more interviews. I don't want to do any other programs. I'm not joining CNN. This is it."

Like Johnny Carson, another television standout who took charge of his exit from the national stage, Ms. Walters is picking her television end date exactly one year in advance: Over the next year she will participate in a series of retrospectives on ABC prime-time news programs and her home on The View, seeking, she said, "to say goodbye in the best way."

Expectations that Walters, the nation's first female anchorwoman, would make a formal retirement announcement surfaced in March. She returned from a vacation at that time to say on the air that she had no announcements to make.

But in an interview last week in her apartment overlooking Central Park, Walters, 83, confirmed that she had been pondering this decision for several years. Walters said she will retain the title of co-executive producer on The View and may consult on issues like who replaces Joy Behar or one of the other hosts.

Walters to announce 2014 retirement on 'The View' 05/12/13 [Last modified: Monday, May 13, 2013 12:05am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, St. Petersburg Times.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Uhuru mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel protests exclusion from debate

    Blogs

    ST. PETERSBURG — Jesse Nevel, the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement candidate for mayor, on Thursday demanded that he be allowed to participate in a July 25 televised debate between incumbent Mayor Rick Kriseman and challenger Rick Baker.

    Mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel holds a news conference outside the headquarters of the Tampa Bay Times on Thursday to protest his exclusion from the mayoral debate. Nevel is a member of the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement.
  2. Lightning GM Steve Yzerman also has top-9 wing on his wish list

    Lightning Strikes

    CHICAGO — Much has been made about the Lightning's interest in bolstering its blue line, even after last week's acquisition of defense prospect Mikhail Sergachev.

    Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman gestures as he speaks to the media about recent trades during a news conference before an NHL hockey game against the Carolina Hurricanes Wednesday, March 1, 2017, in Tampa, Fla. The Lightning, over the past few days, have traded goaltender Ben Bishop to the Los Angeles Kings, forward Brian Boyle to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and forward Valtteri Filppula to the Philadelphia Flyers. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara) TPA101
  3. Hernando sheriff: Orlando mother turns in 18-year-old son in pawn shop burglary

    Crime

    Times Staff Writer

    SPRING HILL — Hernando deputies have arrested a fourth person in connection with a pawn shop burglary, but they really didn't have to do anything to find him.

    Elijah Pickard, 18, of Orlando, was turned in by his own mother in connection with a pawn shop burglary, according to the Hernando County Sheriff's Office [Courtesy of Hernando County Sheriff's Office]
  4. Bob Buckhorn and Tampa council say county vote on Confederate statue doesn't speak for them

    Local

    TAMPA — It was the Hillsborough County Commission that voted not to remove a statue honoring the Confederacy, but Tampa officials are worried that the city, not the county, will pay the price.

    The Hillsborough County Commission voted 4-to-3 this week to leave in place a Confederate monument outside the old county courthouse. It was dedicated in 1911 with a speech calling African-Americans "ignorant and inferior'' and saying a president who would appoint a black resident to a job in the South "engenders sectional bitterness, encourages lynchings, injures the negro," and is "a traitor to the Anglo-Saxon race." CHRIS URSO   |   Times