Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New Rick Scott agency wants $230 million for job incentive pot

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott's agency in charge of enticing businesses to create jobs with cash incentives wants $230 million in 2012, 21/2 times the amount lawmakers set aside this year. But the same agency is having trouble keeping track of what's already been spent.

On Thursday, the Department of Economic Opportunity acknowledged that St. Petersburg-based Jabil Circuit never received $12.4 million the state said it did.

The company was one of six that several state documents showed had received a total of $23 million but not produced the promised jobs. Now, the state says Jabil's cash is in an escrow account.

"We apologize for the confusion," DEO spokesman James Miller said in an email.

Scott's new department has been struggling to wrap its arms around more than $739 million in incentives the state has paid since 1995 to companies like Walmart, Walgreens and Coca-Cola to create jobs.

The state has confirmed 86,284 jobs have been created with that money, or about a third of what the deals were supposed to generate. State officials say most of the contracts pay out only after jobs are created, which means tax incentives were not awarded unless new hires were confirmed.

But state officials said six companies, including Jabil, had received a total of $23.3 million from a cash fund and fallen short of their jobs promise.

Multiple records provided by the state show Jabil received $12.4 million in 2008 as part of a deal ultimately worth $37.1 million in state and local incentives.

In return for the money, the company promised to remain in St. Petersburg and invest $49 million in a new 400,000-square-foot building plus $5 million in equipment. The company said that would help create 800 new jobs and retain an additional 1,900 with an average wage of $50,222, according to state records.

Jabil was unable to meet those promises, so the state granted a two-year extension that runs out on Dec. 31. The state and the company are in negotiations to extend the deal for another two years.

Meanwhile, the agency is asking lawmakers for $230 million in incentives for next year, according to budget documents released Wednesday.

That compares to the $93 million the Legislature approved for the agency this year despite cutting overall spending by $1.4 billion. (Scott originally had requested $300 million in 2011 and $500 million in 2012.) Lawmakers are expecting a budget shortfall of $1.9 billion when they officially open the 2012 legislative session in January.

The budget request has not received a hearing. But some Republican lawmakers are considering rewriting a law that allows the state to hide details about incentive deals for up to two years.

Michael C. Bender can be reached at [email protected] or (850) 224-7263. Follow him on Twitter @MichaelCBender.

New Rick Scott agency wants $230 million for job incentive pot 11/10/11 [Last modified: Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Chemical industry insider now shapes EPA policy

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — For years, the Environmental Protection Agency has struggled to prevent an ingredient once used in stain-resistant carpets and nonstick pans from contaminating drinking water.

    This is the Dow chemical plant near Freeport, Texas. Before the 2016 election, Dow had been in talks with the EPA to phase out the pesticide chlorpyrifos, which is blamed for disabilities in children. Dow is no longer willing to compromise.
  2. Unforgiving wildfires affect vineyard workers and owners

    Nation

    SONOMA, Calif. — When the wildfires ignited, vineyard workers stopped picking grapes and fled for their lives. Some vineyard owners decided to stay and fight back, spending days digging firebreaks and sleeping among their vines.

    Wilma Illanes and daughter Gabriela Cervantes, 8, found their home intact, but had lost a week’s wages and sought aid.
  3. O'Reilly got new contract after big settlement

    Nation

    Last January, six months after Fox News ousted its chairman amid a sexual harassment scandal, the network's top-rated host at the time, Bill O'Reilly, struck a $32 million agreement with a longtime network analyst to settle new sexual harassment allegations, two people briefed on the matter told the New York …

    Bill O’Reilly was fired by Fox News after multiple allegations.
  4. Trump plans to release JFK assassination documents

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Saturday morning that he planned to release the tens of thousands of never-before-seen documents left in the files related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination held by the National Archives and Records Administration.

    FILE - In this Nov. 22, 1963 file photo, President John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas. Riding with Kennedy are First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, right, Nellie Connally, second from left, and her husband, Texas Gov. John Connally, far left.  President Donald Trump, on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017,  says he plans to release thousands of never-seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination.  (AP Photo/Jim Altgens, File) NY107
  5. Water leak slows traffic in Westshore area

    Public Safety

    TAMPA –– A broken water main has closed the westbound lane of West Cypress Street between North Westshore Boulevard and North Ward Street. The city estimates the repairs will be completed by 7 a.m. on Sunday.