Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Epilogue | Maureen Kennedy

Maureen Kennedy: Hospice worker broke through AIDS denial with her art

NEW PORT RICHEY — In the 1980s, most people believed a diagnosis of HIV would inevitably lead to AIDS — at the time, the equivalent of a death sentence.

The public feared the disease. Some declared that AIDS was God's justice to homosexuals and IV-drug users.

Maureen Kennedy, an AIDS care coordinator from HPH Hospice, had a different message to share. AIDS was a human disease, she said — contracted by infants in the womb, unsuspecting spouses and, yes, drug users.

Most important, she said with an artist's hands and her therapeutic touch, they were people.

To spread that message, Ms. Kennedy made masks of AIDS patients' faces. She put a gummy substance over a patient's face, then peeled it off. She then held in her hands a lifelike facsimile of the person's face.

To soothing music, she finished the mask in her kitchen. She pulled these masks together in the late 1990s in a daring exhibit. She called it The Face of AIDS.

Ms. Kennedy died at home March 29 of a respiratory disorder. She was 54. She left HPH Hospice (formerly known as Hernando-Pasco Hospice) several years ago after a car accident left her with serious injuries.

The Face of AIDS traveled to high schools. Teenagers walked inside black partitions where they faced masks that once covered someone who had breath in their lungs. Visitors pushed a button beside each mask to hear a message the patient had recorded.

As the teens listened on headphones, chatter turned to whispers and whispers sometimes to tears. Some wrote messages on a wall of grief about people they knew who had died of AIDS.

The exhibit went to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Inspired by the pile of shoes from Holocaust victims, Mrs. Kennedy made her own — a 4-foot-tall pile capped by a little girl's tiny pink shoes.

"To Maureen, the disease had a face," said HPH spokeswoman Robin Kocher. "She wanted to put a face on the disease and make it personal for those who toured the exhibit. Through her talent, she communicated to others that people with HIV and AIDS are just like them. She gave people the ability to touch the face of someone with AIDS, to get close to them through the stories they heard."

After several years, funding for Ms. Kennedy's AIDS program ran dry. Public perception of a lessened danger may have had something to do with that.

Pharmaceutical interventions — a combination of anti-AIDS drugs euphemistically called "the cocktail" — have prolonged lives dramatically since the 1980s. But it should not be seen as a panacea, Kocher warned.

"I think most of us think, 'Okay, I'm going to get the cocktail and I'm going to be fine,' " she said. "But as the disease progresses, you have to adjust that in order to continue to try to maintain your health and your lifestyle. And as you do that, it does have an adverse effect and there are side effects that you have to deal with."

About 60 percent of Ms. Kennedy's sculpted AIDS masks have made their way back to owners or family members.

The rest are lying in storage.

Andrew Meacham can be reached at (727) 892-2248 or


Maureen Jeaneen Kennedy

Born: June 22, 1956.

Died: March 29, 2011.

Survivors: Mother, Theresa; sister, Theresa Wright and her husband Richard.

Maureen Kennedy: Hospice worker broke through AIDS denial with her art 04/04/11 [Last modified: Monday, April 4, 2011 9:25pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Dade City's Wild Things blocks PETA officials at gates for court-ordered site inspection


    Times Staff Writer

    DADE CITY — Dade City's Wild Things founder Kathy Stearns refused to let People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals officials enter her facility on Thursday for a court-ordered inspection, court filings show.

    Dade City's Wild Things founder Kathy Stearns refused to let People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals officials enter her facility on Thursday for a court-ordered inspection, court filings show. This comes four days after 19 Wild Things tigers arrived at the Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park in Oklahoma. A judge had granted an emergency injunction July 14, ordering Stearns not remove any tigers pending the upcoming PETA inspection. Photo from Facebook page of the Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park in Oklahoma.
  2. St. Petersburg City Council approves $326 million sewage fix


    ST. PETERSBURG — Last week the City Council learned no criminal charges would result from the up to 200 million gallons of sewage St. Petersburg's sewer system released from …

    [LARA CERRI  |  Times]
  3. Pasco commuters watch out: Broken water main restricts State Road 52

    Public Safety

    NEW PORT RICHEY — A water main break has caused a portion of State Road 52 — one of the busiest roads in Pasco County — to buckle on Thursday afternoon, reducing three lanes of westbound traffic to just one.

  4. Police identify man who drove along Clearwater Beach sand

    Public Safety

    CLEARWATER — Clearwater Police have identified the Pinellas Park man who they said drove his car over beach chairs and umbrellas along Clearwater Beach and streamed it on Facebook on Thursday afternoon.

    Clearwater Police took a suspect into custody Thursday afternoon after he drove along Clearwater Beach to Caladesi Island, running over beach chairs and umbrellas. [Courtesy of Clearwater Police]
  5. Once trapped and wounded, manatee and calf return to the wild


    NEW PORT RICHEY — The small crowd readied cameras and craned their necks, peering over heads and through bodies to try and catch a glimpse. Brittany Pharel, 10, wanted to see the hulking manatees, a mother and her calf, laid out on blue tarps Thursday along the edge of the Pithlachascotee River.

    Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo's associate veterinarian Lauren Smith, 33, examines the heart rate of a manatee calf named Cottee just before it was released into the waters of the Pithlachascotee River on Thursday. 
Cottee's mother Pascow was released at the same time in New Port Richey. 
The pair became stranded in May and the mother was found wounded. They needed to be rehabilitated before they could be released into open waters. [ALESSANDRA DA PRA  |   Times]