Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Epilogue | Francisco Vincent Basta

St. Petersburg restaurateur Francisco Basta dies at 58

ST. PETERSBURG — Friends were skeptical in 1989 when Francisco Basta opened Basta's Ristorante.

With no retail to speak of nearby, the location at 1625 Fourth St. S seemed more like one to pass by rather than a destination.

Some of his acquaintances even questioned his choice of location in a predominantly black neighborhood.

"A lot of people said, 'Why would you want to open up over there?' " said his wife, MaryEllen Basta, 56. "But we didn't care because we're not like that."

The restaurant stayed open for more than 20 years, at times winning awards such as the "Golden Spoon" and top ratings in the Mobil Travel Guide. Joe Torre and Mike Alstott were regulars. So were Dick Vitale and Bette Midler.

Locals knew the restaurant, too, including many who couldn't afford to eat there. Mr. Basta consistently gave out gift certificates for band boosters and other school-related organizations. He gave food, and jobs, to down-and-out men and women who trickled from the nearby Salvation Army.

Mr. Basta turned the business over to his son, Mario, about five years ago. It closed last month due to Mr. Basta's deteriorating health.

Mr. Basta died June 17 of liver cancer. He was 58.

For him, cooking was everything. He created, calling himself a "wizard in the kitchen." He served veal with peppers and onions. He flavored salmon with vodka, brandy and cream.

He preferred a lighter cuisine than some Italian restaurants offer. No MSG. "You feel better after you're done eating," Mario Basta said.

Customers at Basta's often had a hard time leaving. Waiters swirled around them like honey bees, carrying bread and wine and questions about their welfare.

"He was pretty strict about wanting the customers to feel well," said Mario Basta, 31.

He wanted them to feel at home. Home, for him, was Mandatoriccio, Italy. Mr. Basta moved to the United States at 13 and lived in West Orange, N.J. He ran a restaurant with his father before coming to St. Petersburg in the late 1980s and opening Basta's.

Businesses on Fourth Street S were considered risky investments by some. Long-standing institutions like the Fourth Street ferry boat and the Wedgewood Inn were gone. Crack was gaining a foothold. Mr. Basta wasn't worried.

"It (the location) has to be very good for business," he told the Times in 1989. "People come here from all over because it's convenient. There's a sign on the interstate that says, 'Fourth St.' You get off and, boom, you're here."

When not at the restaurant, Mr. Basta enjoyed relaxing with his family. He liked out-of-the-way spots on the beach, walks in Vinoy Park, Starbucks and going to the movies, his family said.

Basta's will reopen sometime in 2010, his son said.

Andrew Meacham can be reached at (727) 892-2248 or ameacham@sptimes.com.

.Biography

Francisco Vincent Basta

Born: Jan. 3, 1951.

Died: June 17, 2009.

Survivors: wife MaryEllen; sons Frank Jr., Mario and David; daughters Lisa and Allison; mother Esmeralda; brother Luigi and his wife, Mary; sisters Marisa Parrota and her husband, Dominico, and Angelina Basta and her husband, Alex Rossi; two grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Service: 1 p.m. July 3; Blessed Trinity Catholic Church, 1600 54th Ave. S.

St. Petersburg restaurateur Francisco Basta dies at 58 06/22/09 [Last modified: Monday, June 22, 2009 8:06pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Philippines forces make gains in city under siege by ISIS-linked militants

    MARAWI, Philippines — Philippine forces say they now control most of a southern city where militants linked to the Islamic State group launched a bloody siege nearly a week ago.

  2. Rays exhausted but happy after 15-inning win over Twins (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — Before the Rays eventually won Sunday's 6½-hour, 15-inning marathon against the Twins 8-6, they did plenty to lose it. And we need to get that out of the way first.

    The Rays’ Evan Longoria enjoys a laugh after scoring, barely, to tie it in the ninth on Steven Souza Jr.’s two-out single.
  3. Tom Jones' Two Cents: ABC's Indy 500 coverage is stellar again

    TV and Radio

    Times columnist Tom Jones looks back at the best and worst from a weekend of televised sports.

    Best coverage

    Takuma Sato left, celebrates after winning the Indianapolis 500 as Helio Castroneves is a little late passing him. ABC’s coverage of the race is stellar throughout, with plenty of extras but no fake drama.
  4. Takuma Sato surprise winner of wreck-filled Indy 500

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Takuma Sato, a journeyman driver, became the first Japanese winner of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when he held off three-time champion Helio Castroneves in a 230-mph wheel-rubbing duel to the finish.

    Scott Dixon’s car goes over the top of Jay Howard, soaring so high that Helio Castroneves drove under it while it was airborne. Stunningly, there were no serious injuries.
  5. South Korea military: North Korea fires unidentified projectile

    World

    SEOUL — North Korea launched a ballistic missile early today that flew 280 miles and landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone, the South Korean military and the Japanese government said.

    S. Korean President Moon Jae-in is assessing the launch.