Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Novice who challenged Traviesa won't give up ballot spot

TAMPA — When Republican state Rep. Trey Traviesa abandoned his bid for re-election two weeks ago, the political world suddenly took notice of an obscure Valrico man who had quietly signed up for what seemed at the time an electoral suicide mission.

Traviesa was powerful and popular, in a district that stretches east from Davis Islands through Republican-rich suburbs. Judging from his Web site, Lewis LaRicchia, the 59-year-old political novice, is a man with a beef about homeowners associations.

To replace Traviesa on the general election ballot, Republicans settled upon a 26-year-old political intern named Rachel Burgin. This had some Democrats wondering if maybe they needed a new nominee, too, now that the District 56 race had suddenly become competitive.

Through all the intrigue, LaRicchia has remained silent. On Wednesday, in an e-mail to the St. Petersburg Times, he broke his silence.

"I am here to stay," he said, adding that he had "never considered withdrawing."

He would have commented sooner, but "I did not want to become part of the 'circus' that reporters and others were creating," he wrote in one of three "official statements."

A former union organizer, LaRicchia said he had been assured by Democratic leaders that they supported him as the nominee, and that any reports to the contrary are "in direct conflict with what he was told."

In response to complaints from some Democrats that he registered as a party member only after qualifying to run, LaRicchia said he's required to be a Democrat only upon taking office.

Even though he has barely raised enough money to cover the qualifying fee, LaRicchia said he's a serious candidate who can beat Burgin.

"The only thing that has changed is, my opponent and I are known very little in the public life," he said. "This does not make either one of us poor candidates or poor representatives."

Novice who challenged Traviesa won't give up ballot spot 08/27/08 [Last modified: Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:20am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Clearwater eyes hiring new downtown director within two months

    CLEARWATER — Now that the city director tasked with revitalizing downtown has resigned after his arrest on a battery charge during Oktoberfest, City Manager Bill Horne said the goal is to not leave the position vacant long.

    Clearwater Assistant City Manager  Micah Maxwell will oversee downtown until the city hires a replacement for Seth Taylor.
  2. Tampa Bay's Top 100 Workplaces deadline extended to Nov. 17

    Business

    Think you work at one of the best places in Tampa Bay? You've got a little more time to make a pitch.

    Penny Hoarder and Gregory, Sharer & Stuart were among those at an event in Tampa last May honoring winners of the Tampa Bay Times Top Workplaces awards. Nominations are now open for this year.  
[OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Little separates McElwain and Muschamp eras of futility at Florida

    College

     Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain watches the second quarter of the Florida Gators game against Texas A&M, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, in Gainesville.
  4. Tampa-based Checkers testing delivery, aims for record expansion

    Retail

    TAMPA — Tampa-based Checkers Drive-In Restaurants continues to fly under the radar compared to dominant burger chains like McDonald's and Burger King.

    Checkers Franchisee Shaji Joseph, of Tampa, hoses down the front walkway of his store at 6401 Park Boulevard, Pinellas Park. The business has a new look including signage and exterior tile. One drive through has been eliminated for an outdoor dining area, right. Joseph owns nine Checkers and is planning to open his tenth in Tampa.
[SCOTT KEELER   |   Times ]
  5. Advice for presidents from military families they've tried to console

    War

    One family returned the letter because it was full of errors. Another was left cold when the letter they got screamed "robo-pen." Still another was puzzled to find 17 copies of their letter in the mailbox.

    Army Chief Warrant Officer 3 Aaron Cowan, 37, was killed in a helicopter training accident in South Korea on Feb. 26, 2005. [Courtesy of Kari Cowan]