SAFETY HARBOR — All calling for responsible growth and the preservation of the city's small-town charm, seven candidates will compete Tuesday for three seats on the City Commission.
Here are the hopefuls, who have varying levels of experience:
Seat 1: Incumbent Joe Ayoub, 32, a certified public accountant, is running against Robin Fornino, 50, a financial adviser, and Karen Skiff, 39, a security officer.
Seat 2: Incumbent Vice Mayor Mary Lynda Williams, 60, a retired senior financial assistant, faces Barbara Ewert, 45, a manager for a rehabilitation center.
Seat 3: Glen Caristinos, 42, a business owner, is battling Nancy Besore, 52, a teacher.
All of the seats have three-year terms. The part-time job pays $7,800 annually.
Of the 13,123 registered voters in the city, 5,456 received absentee ballots. As of Wednesday, 1,098 had been returned to the Pinellas County Supervisor of Elections Office.
In 2007, the latest year for which numbers are available, 26 percent of registered voters cast ballots in the city election.
There have been several changes to the seven precincts serving the city, so voters should look carefully at the following list of polling places before heading out on Election Day:
• Precinct 622 changed from Countryside Cathedral to Countryside Baptist Church, 2525 N McMullen-Booth Road, Clearwater.
• Precinct 623 changed from Safety Harbor Fire Station No. 53 to Briar Creek Mobile Home Park, Clubhouse 1, 100 Briar Creek Blvd., Safety Harbor.
• Precinct 624 changed from the Safety Harbor Public Library to the Rigsby Recreation Center, 605 Second St. N, Safety Harbor.
• Precinct 655 changed from Safety Harbor Fire Station No. 53 to Briar Creek Mobile Home Park, Clubhouse 1, 100 Briar Creek Blvd., Safety Harbor.
• Precinct 620, Safety Harbor Community Center, 650 Ninth Ave. S, Safety Harbor.
• Precinct 621, Cypress Meadows Community Church, 2180 N McMullen-Booth Road, Clearwater.
• Precinct 625, Espiritu Santo Catholic Church, 2405 Philippe Parkway, Safety Harbor.
Eileen Schulte can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or (727) 445-4153.