Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Safety Harbor commission candidates want to improve quality of life

SAFETY HARBOR — A real estate consultant, a former outdoor trail developer and a retired county worker are contending for a City Commission seat this election season.

The three candidates — Richard Blake, Ray R. Irvin and Robert Saltzman — are competing for the seat Commissioner Joe Ayoub is leaving.

Ayoub ran unopposed to finish the term of Mayor Andy Steingold and assumes that position in January. Steingold submitted his resignation to seek a judgeship — a resignation that will take effect in January even though he lost the race for judge in August.

Though using different approaches, the three commission campaigns share a common vision of promoting Safety Harbor's quality of life.

The youngest candidate at 34, Blake hopes to infuse the commission with new energy. He's a Remax real estate consultant who also sits on the city's planning and zoning board.

Blake's primary focus: getting more public input on the commission's decisions. Too few people, he said, chime in on city-wide issues.

"It makes it difficult for the leadership to really know what people want to do," he said.

By reaching out to homeowners associations and other organizations, Blake said commissioners can solicit more feedback and stay in touch with their constituents.

Another priority for Blake is ensuring the city's walkability.

"An outdoor community seems to be a happier community, in my mind," he said.

That's a goal shared by his opponent Irvin, 66. Irvin touts his previous work in Indiana, leading efforts to create trails and bike routes throughout the state and the city of Indianapolis.

Connecting Safety Harbor's outdoor paths will make it easier for children to walk to playgrounds and for aging adults to stay healthy and active, Irvin said.

"What I want is a town where, 'Gee, Mom, gee, Dad, can I ride my bike to the park?' Absolutely. You should be able to do that in this country and do it safely," he said.

Irvin has his own businesses in consulting, property maintenance and patent designs. He's the only one of the three candidates with previous elected experience. He served on the City-County Council in Indianapolis more than two decades ago.

At a Safety Harbor meeting last week, Irvin was moved from an alternate to a regular member of the city's finance advisory committee.

He wants to attract more light manufacturing and pitch a grant-writing initiative to bring in more dollars for the city's "wish list" of unfunded projects. Targeting arts, environmental and recreational programs in particular, he suggested using college interns to seek grants. If successful, the city could hire a grant-writer.

The third candidate in the race, Saltzman, said he'll deal with money issues as they arise. "It's pretty much math," he said, adding that he would take a conservative stance on the budget.

"Being a commissioner," he wrote in an email, "should be much more than approving drainage projects or budget battles."

A retired Pinellas County utilities employee, Saltzman, 65, was motivated to run for office after seeing a problem with rusty staples left in trees. He worried the city's parking signs for Third Friday damaged Main Street trees. He railed against the staples until the city stopped using them.

Spending hundreds of dollars on campaign signs, Saltzman tries to get his name out at city events and by waving signs on street corners around the city.

Another feature he'd like for Safety Harbor is a Christmas boat parade, similar to Treasure Island's annual festivities.

Stephanie Wang can be reached at (727) 445-4155 or swang@tampabay.com. To write a letter to the editor, go to tampabay.com/letters.

>>if you go

Campaign forum

The three candidates plan to appear at an Oct. 24 campaign forum. It starts at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall, 750 Main St.

Safety Harbor commission candidates want to improve quality of life 09/26/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:53pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that ‘both sides” bore blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.