Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Settlement will keep most potential non-U.S. citizens on Florida voter rolls

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Department of State have already removed 207 noncitizen voters using a federal immigration database, and there could be more to come.

But most of the people on the initial list of potentially ineligible voters will remain on the state's voting rolls, officials said Wednesday.

The announcements were part of a settlement with a coalition of voter rights groups that had sued over the state's attempt to purge potential non-U.S. citizens from the voting rolls.

"We want every Florida voter to be confident that their vote is protected and not hurt in any way by the illegal activity of others," Secretary of State Ken Detzner said in a news release. "We know that every vote counts, especially here in Florida where only 537 votes decided the presidential election in 2000."

In April, the state identified 2,625 potentially ineligible voters after checking voter rolls against a motor vehicle database that contained some outdated citizenship information. The coalition filed its lawsuit in June, accusing the state of unfairly targeting minority voters.

The plaintiffs agreed Wednesday to drop most of the suit after the state signed off on several "stipulations."

For example, the state will restore individuals to the voters rolls unless they are verified as being ineligible using a federal immigration database.

Most the people on the list of 2,625 who received notices that they were potentially being kicked off the rolls will receive new letters verifying that they remain eligible to vote.

The plaintiffs are still actively pursuing one claim against the state: that Florida violated a federal law that precludes voter purges within 90 days of an election. One of the plaintiffs, civil rights group Advancement Project, issued a news release praising the "stipulation" agreement.

"It will ensure that naturalized citizens, the majority of whom are Latino, black and Asian, have the same opportunities as all Americans to participate in our political process and exercise the most fundamental right in our democracy — the right to vote," co-director Judith Browne Dianis said.

Some of the 207 registered voters kicked off the rolls had previously admitted they weren't citizens, but most were found through a federal immigration database, called SAVE, State Department spokesman Chris Cate said.

"The information about these voters will be provided to state attorneys to investigate, as well," Cate said, noting that registering to vote illegally could be a felony.

Tia Mitchell can be reached at tmitchell@tampabay.com or (850) 224-7263.

Settlement will keep most potential non-U.S. citizens on Florida voter rolls 09/12/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:51pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Gov. Rick Scott could soon be the all-time king of line-item veto

    Blogs

    2016: $256,144,027

    2015: $461,387,164

    2014: $68,850,121

    2013: $367,950,394

    2012: $142,752,177

    2011: $615,347,550

    Only once has Scott used the line-item veto sparingly. That was in 2014, the year he ran for re-election, when he removed a paltry $69 million from the budget.

    Gov. Rick Scott waves a veto pen at The Villages in 2011.
  2. Rays morning after: An up-and down day for Jose De Leon

    Blogs

    Rays RHP Jose De Leon had a busy Monday - getting called up to join the Rays for the first time and making his way from Pawtucket, R.I., to Boston and the flying to Texas, working 2 2/3 eventful innings to get the W in the 10-8 victory over the Rangers, and then getting optioned back to Triple-A.

  3. Resignation of communications director Dubke could signal more changes within White House staff

    National

    WASHINGTON — Mike Dubke has resigned as White House communications director, a senior administration official confirmed Tuesday, in the first of what could be a series of changes to President Trump's senior staff amid the growing Russia scandal.

    President Donald Trump speaks at the Memorial Amphitheater in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., Monday, May 29, 2017, during a Memorial Day ceremony. [Associated Press]
  4. Trump pays somber tribute to fallen troops on Memorial Day

    National

    ARLINGTON, Va. — President Donald Trump expressed the nation's "boundless" gratitude for the ultimate sacrifice paid by Americans defending the United States, dedicating his first Memorial Day address as commander in chief to a top Cabinet secretary and two other families who lost loved ones.

    Brittany Jacobs, left, watches as her 6-year-old son Christian Jacobs meets President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery, Monday, May 29, 2017, in Arlington, Va. Jacobs father, Marine Sgt. Christopher Jacobs, was killed in 2011. [Associated Press]
  5. Florida education news: Budgets, discipline, charter schools and more

    Blogs

    BUDGETING: Florida school district officials keep a close eye on their spending plans as they await word on the Legislature's budget. Gov. Rick Scott