Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Florida Democrats reminded House leaders of no-drilling protections enacted in a 2006 law.

WASHINGTON — It's hard to believe this worked.

Tuesday, Florida's Gulf Coast was in the sights of House Democratic leaders crafting a bill to expand offshore oil and gas exploration.

By Wednesday, Florida Democrats apparently had convinced House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that Florida gave up enough in 2006, when Congress passed a compromise bill that opened 8.3-million acres of the eastern Gulf of Mexico to drilling in exchange for significant protections closer to shore.

"I think we're good," said Rep. Kathy Castor, D-Tampa, as she left a closed meeting of House Democrats. "All signs point to they're now coming to realize that gosh, yes, in 2006 the state of Florida gave up more than 8-million acres, it's codified in law, and the military mission line is important."

She and other members stressed nothing is guaranteed until Democrats agree on the full package. "My present understanding is the 2006 language ... protects those of us who had concerns," said Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Miramar.

Aides to Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer confirmed the eastern Gulf of Mexico will remain off limits.

Castor began making her case to House leaders last month, as it became increasingly likely that Democrats would break with their long-held opposition to expanding offshore oil and natural gas exploration and vote this month on a comprehensive energy package that will include more drilling.

As Democrats hammered out the bill's parameters during a closed meeting Tuesday, Castor and other Florida Democrats argued that Florida had already been forced to compromise in 2006 and that it was too soon to dismantle that law.

The law, which was passed after weeks of difficult negotiations, bans drilling in the U.S. military's training zone in the eastern Gulf of Mexico, a giant swath of water east of a line running from near Pensacola to the Keys.

Everything within 234 miles off Tampa Bay and 125 miles off the Panhandle is off limits to drilling through 2022 — provided Congress doesn't change it.

All nine Florida Democrats in the U.S. House met twice with Pelosi on Wednesday and again argued against changing the status quo. By the time the full House Democratic caucus met in the late afternoon, the Floridians were hearing the 2006 deal will stand. Waters off other states, including the Carolinas, Georgia and Virginia, will likely be opened, and more states could be affected as well, members and aides said.

In addition to more drilling, the package also will set new standards for renewable energy use, repeal tax breaks given to oil companies, and invest billions of dollars in royalties that oil companies pay for drilling rights into the development of alternative energy. A vote is expected next week.

Republicans generally oppose repealing the oil companies' tax breaks, and contend the bill will not allow enough drilling.

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Roberts Gates has asked the Navy to review its use of the eastern gulf training zone, to determine if the boundaries should change or if some portions could be used for energy exploration.

But Rep. C.W. Bill Young of Indian Shores, the top Republican on the House panel that controls military funding, said a deputy assistant secretary of the Navy, Donald Schregardus, met with him Wednesday and told him the area is critical to the Navy and Air Force.

Wes Allison can be reached at [email protected] or (202) 306-4807.

Florida Democrats reminded House leaders of no-drilling protections enacted in a 2006 law. 09/10/08 [Last modified: Friday, September 12, 2008 5:51pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921