Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

March column: Frank says veteran's lawsuit a non-issue

Challenger Kevin Beckner is sparring with Circuit Court Clerk Pat Frank over treatment of a veteran who worked in her office.

LOREN ELLIOTT | Times

Challenger Kevin Beckner is sparring with Circuit Court Clerk Pat Frank over treatment of a veteran who worked in her office.

County Commissioner Kevin Beckner, running against Clerk of Court Pat Frank, is citing a 2007 lawsuit against Frank as an example of what he calls mismanagement of the clerk's office and mistreatment of a veteran. But Frank says there's nothing there.

Beckner's domestic partner Gil Sainz has posted material on the clerk's Facebook page criticizing Frank on the issue, and Beckner, who's launched several attacks at Frank, says it will come up in the campaign.

"I don't discriminate against military people," Frank responded. "My husband of 63 years had three battle stars from World War II. I respect those who serve in battle."

The case concerned former clerk's office supervisor and Army reservist Tracey Marshall, who went on a brief deployment in 2005, Frank's first year as clerk. When Marshall returned, she was reinstated at the same level but in a different area, Frank said. Later, she was moved from the office's felony division to the traffic division.

That caused her to lose a $100-a-month bonus for felony division workers to compensate for after-hours job demands.

Marshall sued, represented by the U.S. Justice Department, alleging Frank had violated a law requiring that reservists returning from deployment be reinstated at their former level and pay.

In a settlement, Frank agreed to pay Marshall $2,500, including $1,250 in back pay, but denied any wrongdoing. Marshall remained at the clerk's office until 2011.

Frank said Marshall got several raises and a promotion between the time she returned from the deployment and the time she sued. Frank has since ended the bonus for felony section workers.

She said around 18 other clerk's office employees have gone on deployments and returned, without complaints, during her tenure, and the problem with Marshall was "an aberration."

Marshall's transfer to the traffic division was routine, Frank said.

"We move people around all the time — we have to use them where they're needed. But she was not demoted, and there was no finding by the government that we violated the law — they acknowledged that."

She said settling the lawsuit instead of fighting it "made economic sense."

Reddick backs Harrison over Montelione

City Council member Frank Reddick, a Democrat, says he's supporting Republican state Rep. Shawn Harrison over fellow council member and Democrat Lisa Montelione in the District 63 state House race.

Reddick said that's not because of any problem he has with Montelione. He's just become friends with Harrison.

Reddick said he and Harrison became friends and often political allies when they served on the City Council after Reddick joined as an interim member in 2006.

"He was very supportive of me in getting some issues done in East Tampa when I didn't have the support of others," including closing a public nuisance bar, he said. "We became friends, and he supported me in my previous campaign."

Reddick said he's talked to Montelione about it.

What's he going to do with all that money?

As of May 31, Sheriff David Gee was the top fundraiser among local candidates with $372,840. But as of late last week, just before the end of qualifying, Gee had no prominent opponent — only a GOP primary challenger, Kevin Carrier, who's raised just $301.

What's he going to do with it all? Give it back, he said through a spokesman.

In 2012, facing only a write-in opponent, Gee raised $248,945, and returned all but about $30,500 to his donors.

Tax Collector Doug Belden, the second-place fundraiser, has raised $208,306, though he was unopposed as of late last week. In 2012, also unopposed, he returned about 86 percent of the $121,770 he raised.

But while all that money is sitting in the bank, it scares off any potential challengers.

William March can be reached at wemarch@gmail.com

March column: Frank says veteran's lawsuit a non-issue 06/23/16 [Last modified: Friday, June 24, 2016 4:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Nearly 40 hospitalized on first day of Sunset Music Festival, on pace to exceed last year

    News

    To reduce the number of medical emergencies this year, sponsors of the Sunset Music Festival promised heightened security and safety measures during this weekend's event at Raymond James Stadium.

    Thousands of people crowd the main stage at the Sunset Music Festival on Saturday in the north Raymond James Stadium parking area. The temperature at the time of the photo was 92 degrees. [LUIS SANTANA   |   Times]
  2. Woman killed in overnight Temple Terrace apartment fire, city says

    Fire

    TEMPLE TERRACE — A woman died early Sunday as a result of a fire at an apartment complex, city officials said.

  3. Video: Indianapolis 500 drivers in fiery crash somehow walk away uninjured

    Auto racing

    Scott Dixon and Jay Howard avoided injury in a spectacular crash - or what Dixon labeled "a wild ride" afterward - during the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday.

  4. Homeland security chief defends Kushner's alleged proposal for 'back channel' to the Russians as 'a good thing"

    National

    Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, the lone administration official to speak out publicly about reports that Jared Kushner sought a back channel to communicate with the Russian government, defended the move, saying it was a "good thing" for the U.S. government.

    Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump's senior adviser and son-in-law, listens during a meeting with small business leaders at the White House on Jan. 30. [Washington Post photo by Jabin Botsford]
  5. After hard charging on health care in 2016, Marco Rubio is slow, careful

    Blogs

    As a presidential candidate, Marco Rubio pitched an Obamacare replacement and tore into Donald Trump for not having one. "What is your plan? What is your plan on health care? You don't have a plan," the Florida senator aggressively challenged in a February 2016 debate.