Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Clock is ticking as Florida Senate, House begin work today on a budget agreement

TALLAHASSEE — Having wrestled with their respective budgets late last week, the House and Senate return today to begin what should be intense negotiations over a final product.

The budget conference process was scheduled to begin at 8 a.m., but Sunday afternoon, leaders said it would be delayed. The Senate suggested the meeting be scrapped because the two chambers aren't yet in sync on a bottom line.

"We will continue to work with our Senate partners and will notify you when we have further information," House Speaker Larry Cretul, R-Ocala, wrote in a memo.

But sometime early this week, the posturing has to end, and budget leaders have to agree on a series of questions:

How big a cigarette tax increase? How much more gambling? How much money will be swept from trust funds — the single-purpose accounts for affordable housing and road building?

The task is especially difficult this year with an estimated $3 billion revenue shortfall. The House on Friday approved its $65 billion spending plan, but the vote was largely on party lines, with Democrats opposed.

The Senate on Thursday passed its spending plan unanimously. It spends nearly $550 million more than the House.

Also Monday, the Senate will take up the controversial proposal to ask voters to scale back the class-size amendment.

The House passed the plan on a largely partisan vote, with Democrats opposed because they fear it will hurt school funding.

The plan puts a constitutional amendment on the 2010 ballot that halts class-size compliance at the school average, while raising the maximum number of students per classroom.

Staff writer Steve Bousquet contributed to this report.

Clock is ticking as Florida Senate, House begin work today on a budget agreement 04/20/09 [Last modified: Monday, April 20, 2009 8:44am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.