Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

State's worst drivers will soon have to pass driver education class, driving test

TALLAHASSEE — Florida will soon start sending some of the state's worst drivers back to school.

A new state law will require any motorist convicted of three crash-related moving violations over a three-year period to take a behind-the-wheel education course and pass a driving test, just like a teenager.

The little-noticed crackdown on chronically bad drivers becomes effective Jan. 1, and was part of the annual legislation re-enacting traffic laws and signed last month by Gov. Charlie Crist.

"These people have demonstrated a propensity not only for crashing but for being at fault," said Electra Bustle, executive director of the state highway safety agency. "If we can change even one person's driving behavior to avoid a crash, then I think we'll be successful."

Highway safety officials will begin counting violations starting in January, so previous incidents won't be considered. Still, department officials have identified more than 3,200 drivers who currently fit in the most dangerous category. Statistically, they are most likely to be white men, age 40 or younger, and clustered in urban centers. Although men make up 52 percent of the drivers, they account for 64 percent of these bad drivers.

Kevin Bakewell, senior vice president of AAA Auto Club South in Tampa, said the change is a positive development.

"For some people, paying a fine for violating a traffic law does not serve as a disincentive," Bakewell said. "Hopefully, the act of having to take that driving test will have some positive impact on that person's driving behavior."

Current law requires a four-hour refresher course for drivers cited in two crashes, but the course can be taken on the Internet and does not include behind-the-wheel training.

Contrary to stereotypes, the Florida drivers most likely to be cited repeatedly for causing accidents are not elderly. Only 7 percent are over 65; more than a third are under age 25.

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has identified 3,277 drivers who were involved in 10,281 accidents over a three-year period ending Dec. 31, 2008.

Of that total, 595 have at least one conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Despite their issues on the roadways, however, the worst-of-the-worst drivers rarely cause fatalities. The state said they accounted for five deaths in that same three-year span. About 3,000 people die each year on Florida highways.

A federal privacy law prohibits the state from disclosing the names of the worst drivers, but the state knows who they are and where they live.

Miami-Dade, the state's most populous county, was home to the most dangerous drivers in 2008, with 378. Jacksonville's Duval was right behind with 372, even though Duval has only about a third as many drivers.

Pinellas and Hillsborough rank third and fourth, with Broward fifth.

Among larger counties, Palm Beach is comparatively a very safe place to drive. The county has more than 1 million drivers but only 112 on the most dangerous list.

Steve Bousquet can be reached at bousquet@sptimes.com or (850) 224-7263.

.Fast facts

Dangerous drivers by age

Percent of
Age total

16-2536

26-4027

41-6529

66-over7

Figures may not total 100 percent due to rounding.

Source: Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Where dangerous drivers live

These five counties had the most
dangerous drivers in Florida in 2008.

Percent
CountyTotalof total*

Miami-Dade37811.5

Duval37211.4

Pinellas 288 8.8

Hillsborough2587.9

Broward1745.3

*The county's share of the total of 3,277 dangerous drivers statewide.

Source: Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

State's worst drivers will soon have to pass driver education class, driving test 07/09/09 [Last modified: Saturday, July 11, 2009 1:06pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Judge throws out $458,000 condo sale, says Clearwater attorney tricked bidders

    Real Estate

    CLEARWATER — Pinellas County Circuit Judge Jack St. Arnold on Monday threw out the $458,100 sale of a gulf-front condo because of what he called an "unscrupulous" and "conniving" scheme to trick bidders at a foreclosure auction.

    John Houde, left, whose Orlando copany was the high  bidder June 8 at the foreclosure auction of a Redington Beach condo, looks in the direction of Clearwater lawyer and real estate investor Roy C. Skelton, foreground,  during a hearing Monday before Pinellas County Circuit Judge Jack St. Arnold.  [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD   |   Times ]
  2. Vision Zero plan to make Hillsborough roads safer to be unveiled

    Transportation

    TAMPA — Vision Zero, the coalition trying to make Hillsborough County safer for bicyclists and pedestrians, is set to unveil its action plan on Tuesday morning.

    Members of the Vision Zero workshop cross Hillsborough Avenue and Kelly Road during a on-street audit of Town 'N Country roads in January. [JAMES BORCHUCK  |   Times]
  3. Pasco EDC names business incubator head in Dade City, will open second site

    Business

    Pasco County economic development officials are busy reigniting their business start-up resources following the departure earlier this year of Krista Covey, who ran the Pasco Economic Development Council's SMARTStart business incubator in Dade City.

    Andrew Romaner was promoted this summer to serve as program director of the Dade City SMARTStart Entrepreneur Center, a start-up incubator service of the Pasco Economic Development Council. He succeeds Krista Covey, who relocated to Texas for another startup position. [Courtesy of Pasco EDC]
  4. What you need to know for Tuesday, Aug. 22

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Clearwater lawyer and real estate investor Roy C. Skelton, center, attends a hearing on Monday Circuit Court Judge Jack St. Arnold at the Pinellas County Courthouse in Clearwater. The hearing was requested by attorneys representing John Houde, left, who filed a motion to invalidate the sale of a $458,000 Redington Beach condo, a deal orchestrated by Skelton, who stands accused of deliberately misleading bidders in a the June 8 foreclosure auction. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times]
  5. Sarasota GOP names Dick Cheney 'Statesman of the Year'

    Blogs

    Former Vice President Dick Cheney will be honored as "Statesman of Year" by the Sarasota GOP, a title that twice went to Donald Trump.

    Dick and Liz Cheney