Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

City Council approves New Tampa bridge contract

TAMPA — After a yearslong fight, the City Council on Thursday signed off on a contract allowing a local company to build the New Tampa Boulevard bridge over Interstate 75.

Prince Contracting submitted a low bid of $12.5 million out of 11 applicants, and the council unanimously approved hiring the company. The council awarded a second Tampa company, Kisinger Campo and Associates, a separate contract worth about $500,000 for professional engineering services on the bridge.

Construction on the two-lane road connecting New Tampa Boulevard with Commerce Park Boulevard is expected to begin in June. It should take about two years to complete.

Tampa Palms attorney Warren Dixon once sued the city in an effort to stop the project, but he no longer opposes the bridge. After speaking individually with council members, he was assured the safety concerns he raised over the years won't be ignored.

"I would not say that I'm a bridge supporter," Dixon said Thursday. "I will say that I'm content with the discussions as far as they've progressed."

Residents in Tampa Palms have argued that the bridge would increase traffic in their neighborhoods, creating a potential hazard for schoolchildren, pedestrians and wildlife. West Meadows homeowners also have opposed the project over the years.

Council member Lisa Montelione, the newly elected representative for New Tampa, held a community forum Monday to allow constituents to hear about the city's plans and express their concerns. But the message was clear that the project would likely move forward, she said.

The bridge will include bike lanes and sidewalks and has enough space to eventually be expanded to four lanes.

Widening of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard will be completed nearly a year before the New Tampa Boulevard bridge opens, which is alleviating concerns that people will use the new roadway to avoid congestion on the main thoroughfare.

Also Thursday, the council reviewed the city's plan for offering tax breaks to businesses that expand or hire new workers, an initiative approved by voters earlier this year.

Mayor Bob Buckhorn made ironing out the details of the tax break program one of his first priorities.

Under the plan, companies that hire at least 10 new employees or make substantial capital improvements won't have to pay some of the new property taxes that come with their larger enterprises. The exemption would be either 50 or 75 percent of the tax increases for either five or 10 years, depending on the size and nature of the business expansion.

"This is what it's all about," said Mark Huey, the city's administrator of economic and urban development. "Trying to position our community to grow as many jobs as we can."

The council would have to approve each exemption on a case-by-case basis and companies would be required to meet certain goals and submit annual reports.

Exemptions under the program would be capped at a cumulative total of $2 million in lost tax revenue each year unless a super-majority of the council votes to increase the limit.

The council will take a final vote on the plan at a later date.

Tia Mitchell can be reached at tmitchell@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3405.

City Council approves New Tampa bridge contract 04/21/11 [Last modified: Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. 'Free speech rally' cut short after massive counterprotest

    Nation

    BOSTON — Thousands of demonstrators chanting anti-Nazi slogans converged Saturday on downtown Boston in a boisterous repudiation of white nationalism, dwarfing a small group of conservatives who cut short their planned "free speech rally" a week after a gathering of hate groups led to bloodshed in Virginia.

    Thousands of people march against a “free speech rally” planned Saturday in Boston. About 40,000 people were in attendance.
  2. Police pull unconscious New Port Richey man from SUV in Cotee River

    Accidents

    NEW PORT RICHEY — Police rescued an unconscious driver whose sport utility vehicle plunged into the Cotee River on Saturday.

  3. Analysis: Bannon is out, but his agenda may live on

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — In his West Wing office, Stephen Bannon kept a chart listing trade actions — on China, steel and autos — that the Trump White House planned to roll out, week by week, through the fall. Now that Bannon, the president's chief strategist, has been pushed out, the question is whether his …

    Steve Bannon thinks he could be more effective influencing policy from outside the White House.
  4. Trump to skip Kennedy Center Honors awards program

    Politics

    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — Acknowledging that he has become a "political distraction," President Donald Trump has decided to skip the festivities surrounding the annual Kennedy Center Honors arts awards later this year, the White House announced Saturday amid the continuing fallout over Trump's stance on last weekend's …

  5. Bucs' annual Women of RED preseason party attracts nearly 2,000

    Bucs

    TAMPA — Theresa Jones is primarily a college football fan, but she wanted to get a taste of the Bucs. So the 46-year-old Tampa resident bought a ticket for the team's Women of RED Ultimate Football Party at Raymond James Stadium on Friday.

    Lee White of Seminole tries on a helmet at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. on Friday, August 18, 2017.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers female fans descended upon Raymond James Stadium for the ultimate football party, the 2017 Women of RED: The Takeover, supported by Moffitt Cancer Center. CHARLIE KAIJO   |   Times