Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Connie Mack will not run for U.S. Senate

Scratch a big name off the list of Republicans eager to take on Democratic U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson.

U.S. Rep. Connie Mack IV, son of the former senator with the same name, announced Friday that he'll seek re-election rather than run for U.S. Senate.

"I've got two small children, and it's hard enough to get to spend a lot of good quality time now. I have a wife. They are all very important to me, and at the end of the day family has to be No. 1," Mack told the St. Petersburg Times.

With a well-known name, Mack was leading other Republican contenders in early polls, and many Republicans had expected him to jump in after he promised a "major announcement" about the campaign against "liberal incumbent Sen. Bill Nelson."

Mack said his wife, Republican U.S. Rep. Mary Bono Mack of California, his kids and parents encouraged him to run, and politically it made a lot of sense.

But the three-term representative also considered his position in Congress, saying he can be a leading advocate for cutting spending and taxes. And as chairman of the House Subcommittee on the Western Hemisphere, the 43-year-old Fort Myers Republican also is a top voice on Latin America and challenging Venezuela President Hugo Chavez.

Other Republicans running or expected to run include state Senate President Mike Haridopolos of Merritt Island, retired Col. Mike McCallister of Plant City, former state House Majority Leader Adam Hasner of Boca Raton and former U.S. Sen. George LeMieux of Fort Lauderdale. Mack said he has not made any decision about endorsing in the primary but will not let up his criticism of incumbent Sen. Nelson.

"Florida deserves a senator who walks and talks the same way," said Mack. "Sen. Nelson wants to try to pull the wool over the eyes of the people of Florida by voting as a liberal in Washington and then coming back home and pretending he's a moderate."

Connie Mack will not run for U.S. Senate 03/25/11 [Last modified: Friday, March 25, 2011 6:09pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that ‘both sides” bore blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.