Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

George LeMieux quits Senate race, clears way for Connie Mack

Former Sen. George LeMieux abruptly quit Florida's Republican U.S. Senate race on Wednesday, all but guaranteeing that frontrunner Connie Mack will be the party's nominee.

LeMieux was behind in fundraising, behind in name identification and behind in big-name endorsements when compared with Mack, a sitting congressman from Fort Myers and the son and namesake of a former Florida senator.

"Ahead of us in the polls, the Mack name enjoys widespread recognition that can only be matched with substantial advertising or the opportunity to debate on statewide television," LeMieux said in a video address posted on YouTube.

He lamented that Mack refused to debate him on television and that "our finances cannot support" a major advertising campaign. In Florida, competitive statewide campaigns burn through at least $1 million a week on television in the final days.

Mack, meanwhile, received word Tuesday that he was about to be on the receiving end of a $1 million contribution from Las Vegas gaming magnate Sheldon Adelson, a Republican contributor who planned to deposit the money in an independent political committee, Freedom PAC, established to get Mack elected.

Mack entered the race relatively late last year after Florida Senate President Mike Haridopolos dropped out.

When Mack entered the race, former Florida House Republican leader Adam Hasner called it quits and ran for a congressional seat instead.

Mack quickly garnered major endorsements, notably from former Gov. Jeb Bush, current Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi and Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

LeMieux stayed in, but he struggled in great part because of his association with former Gov. Charlie Crist, who had left the GOP amid a bitter Senate campaign against Marco Rubio in 2010. That Senate seat was held on an interim basis by LeMieux, who had been appointed by Crist after Mel Martinez left the Senate.

LeMieux waged a tough campaign against Mack for months. LeMieux's campaign produced a mocking, cartoonish web ad that accused the congressman of being a "half Mack" when compared with his father and great-grandfather, a baseball legend.

LeMieux also repeatedly bashed Mack for skipping votes in Congress and for having little private-sector job experience outside of working as a consultant for the Hooters restaurant chain. The Democratic incumbent, Sen. Bill Nelson, who has more than $9 million in the bank, is expected to reprise those criticisms of Mack in the general election.

As Mack stumbled and LeMieux froze in the polls, Republicans tried to recruit other candidates to run for the seat. Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater considered running for Senate, but opted to stay put. Former U.S. Rep. Dave Weldon entered the race recently, but with little name ID or money, it will be exceedingly difficult for him to succeed. Other little-known Republican candidates include Deon Long, Mike McCalister and Marielena Stuart.

Though LeMieux had said Mack didn't have the "character" to serve in the U.S. Senate, he decided that having Nelson there was worse.

"To continue would only hurt our chances in the fall, and that is not something that I will risk. Connie Mack will be our nominee. He has my support," LeMieux said. "As a former party chairman, I know that sometimes for the good of the party, and the good of the nation, a candidate has to bow out gracefully. In order to have the best chance to defeat Bill Nelson and put the Senate in Republican hands, today we will end our campaign."

Debate canceled

The Tampa Bay Times, Bay News 9 and FPBS on Wednesday canceled plans to present a U.S. Senate Republican primary debate in July. The Times is planning a general election debate for the U.S. Senate race and details will be announced soon.

George LeMieux quits Senate race, clears way for Connie Mack 06/20/12 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:50pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. NFL commissioner calls Trump remarks on national anthem 'divisive'

    Bucs

    HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The commissioner of the National Football League says President Donald Trump's comments about players who kneel during the national anthem are "divisive" and show an "unfortunate …

    President Donald Trump walks off the stage after he speaks at campaign rally in support of Sen. Luther Strange, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Ala. [Associated Press]
  2. Forecast: Tampa Bay's first fall weekend brings scattered showers

    Weather

    It may officially be fall, but Tampa Bay won't have any cooler temperatures this weekend.

    Tampa Bay's 7 day forecast. [WTSP]
  3. Romano: The choice does not have to be poverty or gentrification

    Local Government

    The memories must be protected. The music and the lore, too.

    The owner of Sylvia's Queen of Soul Food is refusing to give the city information on the restaurant's sales as required by his contract to occupy the city-owned Manhattan Casino. The information is needed to calculate whether the nonprofit Urban Development Solutions, headed by Larry Newsome, owes the city more than the $3,000 monthly base rent.
  4. Tests show North Korea earthquake not caused by nuclear test

    World

    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea's weather agency said a magnitude 3.2 earthquake was detected in North Korea on Saturday close to where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.

    People watch a TV news program reporting North Korea's earthquake, at Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. South Korea's weather agency said an earthquake was detected in North Korea on Saturday around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural. The signs read " The weather agency said a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea." [Associated Press]
  5. New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico

    World

    MEXICO CITY — A strong new earthquake shook Mexico on Saturday, causing new alarm in a country reeling from two still-more-powerful quakes this month that have killed nearly 400 people.

    Locals play pool at a venue in Mexico City's La Condesa neighborhood, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, four days after the 7.1 earthquake. The upscale Mexico City neighborhood was one of the hardest hit, with more than a half-dozen collapsed buildings in the immediate vicinity. The few Condesa residents who ventured out Friday night said they were anxious for relief from an anguishing week. [Associated Press]