NEW YORK — Melania Trump on Monday dismissed her husband's sexually aggressive language as "boy talk," insisting his remarks do not reflect "the man I know."
Donald Trump's wife, in a series of media interviews, said she has accepted her husband's apology and the couple are "moving on." The comments come more than a week after the release of a 2005 video in which Donald Trump brags about kissing women and grabbing their genitals without their permission.
"I said to my husband that, you know, the language is inappropriate. It's not acceptable. And I was surprised, because that is not the man that I know," she told CNN.
She suggested that Trump may not have known his microphone was on, calling it "kind of a boy talk" that Access Hollywood host Billy Bush was encouraging.
She also said it is fair game for her husband to appear with women who have accused former President Bill Clinton of sexual assault, claiming the Democrats fired the first volley into the increasingly ugly war about the couples' private lives.
"They're asking for it. They started. They started from the beginning of the campaign putting my picture from modeling days," she said in excerpts released by Fox News ahead of the interview's broadcast. "That was my modeling days and I'm proud what I did. I worked very hard."
Melania Trump's image was used in a negative ad campaign during the Republican primary, but there is no evidence that the Clintons were involved.
Billy Bush is fired
NBC News on Monday fired Today show host Billy Bush over the Access Hollywood video featuring Donald Trump, the network said. Bush was suspended at the morning show two days after contents of the video were reported on Oct. 7. NBC and Bush's representatives had been negotiating terms of his exit before Monday's announcement. Bush had been at Today for two months.