Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Rubio addresses new FDA rules during visit to Newman cigars in Ybor

Sen. Marco Rubio sits at a cigar machine as state Rep. Dana Young looks on Wednesday at the J.C. Newman Cigar Co. in Tampa. 

ANDRES LEIVA | Times

Sen. Marco Rubio sits at a cigar machine as state Rep. Dana Young looks on Wednesday at the J.C. Newman Cigar Co. in Tampa. 

TAMPA — Luisa Obando felt a tap on her shoulder, looked up from her workbench and saw a senator standing there.

Obando, 63, had been engrossed in her work, bunching together freshly made cigars in plastic at the J.C. Newman Cigar Co. headquarters in east Tampa, when Sen. Marco Rubio walked up during his tour of the factory. She greeted him with a smile, but she had a troubled mind.

"Yo estoy preocupada, Señor Rubio," she said. I'm worried.

Rubio, a Miami Republican nearing the climax of a contentious re-election campaign, visited the company Wednesday to draw attention to the source of Obando's concern: new federal regulations on premium cigars that cigar companies like J.C. Newman say could put them out of business.

The new U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulations were already on the books for cigarettes. In August, they began to apply to other tobacco products including premium cigars.

Proponents of the rules, such as the American Cancer Society, say cigars are dangerous to smokers' health just like other tobacco and should be regulated accordingly. But Rubio is among members of the Florida congressional delegation who say that premium cigars should not be lumped in with traditional cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

"This is a law that was passed to keep cigarettes and harmful tobacco products out of the hands of young people and children, and I don't think any of us disagree with that," Rubio told reporters after his tour with company president Eric Newman. "Anybody who knows about the premium cigar industry knows it's not an industry that targets or is consumed by young Americans."

One of the biggest points of contention is a review process to bring new products to market that cigarmakers say is lengthy and costly. The rule applies to any products introduced to the market after Feb. 15, 2007.

Rubio, a cigar smoker, held up one of Newman's Brick House cigars, which hit the market in 2008 and will have to go through the review process along with about 60 percent of the company's other products.

"They can't afford to do it," Rubio said. "The end result and the worst-case scenario is about half the people working here in Tampa will lose their jobs at some point, maybe more, because all they're going to be able to sell is the things they were making before 2007."

Adding "insult to injury," Rubio said, is President Obama's executive order last week lifting restrictions so that Americans traveling to Cuba can bring home more of the communist island's cigars and rum. It's unfair to allow those unregulated products into the country and at the same time put onerous regulations on American cigarmakers, he said.

Rubio and his Democratic counterpart Bill Nelson are co-sponsors of the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act, a bipartisan bill that would exempt large and premium cigars from the regulations. An identical House measure has the support of Tampa Democrat Kathy Castor.

Rubio said the measure will likely have to be attached to other legislation. He said he's hoping Congress will get it done this year.

His appearance garnered news coverage for Rubio in a major media market along the Interstate 4 corridor as he's locked in a contentious election against U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy, a Jupiter Democrat. The contest is on the Nov. 8 ballot.

Exempting premium cigars from the FDA regulations is one of the few issues on which Murphy and Rubio agree: Murphy is a co-sponsor of the House bill.

Contact Tony Marrero at tmarrero@tampabay.com or (813) 226-3374. Follow @tmarrerotimes.

Rubio addresses new FDA rules during visit to Newman cigars in Ybor 10/19/16 [Last modified: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:54pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.