Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Netanyahu 'rejects' Trump's proposed bar on Muslims but plans to meet with him

JERUSALEM — A planned meeting this month between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump set off a chorus of criticism here on Wednesday, leading the Israeli leader to dissociate himself from Trump's call to ban Muslims from entering the United States.

Netanyahu's office said the meeting, planned for Dec. 28, was scheduled two weeks ago, well before Trump's comments on Muslims, and that the prime minister was prepared to meet any visiting American presidential candidate who requested a meeting.

But Trump's call Monday for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on" brought a strong reaction here, where sensitivities are high over exclusion of individuals on the basis of religion.

Trump's remarks drew criticism from some members of Netanyahu's governing coalition, and 37 Israeli parliament members signed a letter urging Netanyahu to cancel his meeting with the candidate.

In response, Netanyahu's office issued a statement distancing him from the anti-Muslim rhetoric without stepping back from the meeting.

"Prime Minister Netanyahu rejects Donald Trump's recent remarks about Muslims," the statement said. "The State of Israel respects all religions and strictly guarantees the rights of all its citizens. At the same time, Israel is fighting against militant Islam that targets Muslims, Christians and Jews alike and threatens the entire world."

Netanyahu's policy of meeting all visiting presidential candidates "does not represent an endorsement of any candidate or his or her views," the statement added. "Rather, it is an expression of the importance that Prime Minister Netanyahu attaches to the strong alliance between Israel and the United States."

News of the planned meeting drew harsh criticism from lawmakers representing Israel's Arab minority, which is mostly Muslim.

Ahmad Tibi, a member of the main Arab party, the Joint List, called Trump a "neo-Nazi" and said he should be banned from addressing parliament.

"As an Israeli citizen, I ask that the state treat the racism against me in the same way it would relate to racism against Jews," said Issawi Freij, an Arab member of the leftist Meretz party.

Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz, who is close to Netanyahu, also criticized Trump's rhetoric. "I recommend fighting terrorists and extremist Islam, but I would not declare a boycott of Muslims in general," he told Israeli Army radio.

Netanyahu 'rejects' Trump's proposed bar on Muslims but plans to meet with him 12/09/15 [Last modified: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 10:26pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Tribune News Service.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Florida State out of the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2011

    Blogs

    Florida State's first 0-2 start since 1989 has led to another low.

  2. From care center to purgatory to 'hellhole': How 11 frail elders died after Irma

    Hurricanes

    As she got ready to say goodbye to her mother at the Hollywood Hills nursing home, Rose Wyda's heart was sick. Hurricane Irma had been gone for nearly 48 hours, but the trail of shattered trees and broken, hissing power lines the storm left behind was still dangerously apparent. And the nursing home was part of the …

  3. Bucs' Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson kneel during national anthem

    Bucs

    Bucs receivers Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson both kneeled during the national anthem in protest before Sunday's game at the Vikings, two days after President Donald Trump made critical remarks about NFL …

    Bucs receivers Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson both kneeled during the national anthem in protest before Sunday's game at the Vikings. [LOREN ELLIOTT | Times]
  4. Authorities ID man killed in Clearwater Beach boating crash; Girl, 4, still in critical condition

    Briefs

    An Altamonte Springs man died and a 4-year-old girl remains in critical condition Sunday morning after their personal watercraft collided with a boat in the Intracoastal Waterway near Clearwater Beach just before 5 p.m.

  5. 'If anyone can hear us … help.' Puerto Rico's mayors describe 'horror in the streets'

    World

    SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO - In the northern Puerto Rican town of Vega Baja, the floodwaters reached more than 10 feet. Stranded residents screamed "save me, save me," using the lights in their cellphones to help rescue teams find them in the darkness, the town's mayor said.