Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Gov. Rick Scott approves $14 million transfer to help courts, but not loan request

Gov. Rick Scott has refused to approve a loan Florida courts need to keep operating through the end of June.

In a letter delivered to Supreme Court Chief Justice Charles T. Canady on Tuesday, Scott said he would approve the transfer of $14 million from court-related trust funds in hopes of keeping the courts going through April. But he wants more time to study a request for a $28 million loan from other state funds.

The letter, written by Scott's budget director, Jerry L. McDaniel, said the delay in approving the court's request will provide the Governor's Office an opportunity to better understand the factors that led to the deficit, the steps taken by the courts to reduce costs and recommendations for avoiding a similar shortfall next year.

Canady says a dramatic drop in the number of mortgage foreclosure suits filed in Florida has created a financial emergency that could jeopardize the entire court system.

The court needs $72.3 million in emergency funds to keep operating through the end of the current budget year ending June 30. Canady said the courts already face an $8 million deficit by the end of March.

The annual $462 million budget for the court system anticipates spending about $38.5 million a month, far less than the $14 million the governor is allowing for the remainder of March and all of April. Canady says the crisis is likely to lead to unpaid furloughs for court employees and serious delays in litigation.

Asked about the court's request at a press availability Tuesday, Scott said he had just learned of the request.

"We're getting up to speed on it, and then I'll make a decision," he said.

Gov. Rick Scott approves $14 million transfer to help courts, but not loan request 03/22/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:59pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Car bomb kills 13, injures 24 in Baghdad; Islamic State claims responsibility

    World

    BAGHDAD — A car bomb exploded outside a popular ice cream shop in central Baghdad just after midnight today, killing 13 people and wounding 24, hospital and police officials said.

  2. Leaping shark floors angler in Australia

    World

    In The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway's protagonist battles for three days to pull in his prized catch. For Terry Selwood, it came a little more suddenly.

    A 9-foot shark lies on the deck of a fishing boat at Evans Head, Australia on Sunday. Fisherman Terry Selwood said he was left with a badly bruised and bleeding right arm where the shark struck him with a fin as it landed on him on the deck. [Lance Fountain via AP]
  3. Rays rally twice to beat Rangers (w/video)

    The Heater

    ARLINGTON, Texas — Starting Erasmo Ramirez on Monday after he closed out Sunday's marathon win turned out, despite the Rays' best intentions and rigid insistence, to be a bad idea as he gave up four runs without getting through three innings.

    Erasmo Ramirez, starting a day after closing a 15-inning marathon, struggles against the Rangers and comes out after throwing 43 pitches in 21/3 innings.
  4. Britain investigating missed signals over Manchester bomber

    World

    LONDON — Britain's domestic intelligence agency, MI5, is investigating its response to warnings from the public about the threat posed by Salman Abedi, the suicide bomber who killed 22 people and wounded dozens more in an attack at a crowded Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, last week.

    People gather Monday at St. Ann’s Square in Manchester, England, to view tributes to victims of the suicide bombing that killed 22 on May 22 as a concert by Ariana Grande was concluding.
  5. Trump condemns killing of pair who tried to stop racist rant

    Nation

    The mayor of Portland, Ore., on Monday urged U.S. officials and organizers to cancel a "Trump Free Speech Rally" and other similar events, saying they are inappropriate and could be dangerous after two men were stabbed to death on a train as they tried to help a pair of young women targeted by an anti-Muslim tirade.

    Coco Douglas, 8, leaves a handmade sign and rocks she painted at a memorial in Portland, Ore., on Saturday for two bystanders who were stabbed to death Friday while trying to stop a man who was yelling anti-Muslim slurs and acting aggressively toward two young women. From left are Coco's brother, Desmond Douglas; her father, Christopher Douglas; and her stepmother, Angel Sauls. [Associated Press]