Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Legislators reject Seminole gambling deal

TALLAHASSEE — In a 10-minute meeting intended as a rebuke to Gov. Charlie Crist and the Seminole Tribe, a Florida House committee shot down the governor's gambling agreement with the tribe and offered a bill that would give financial relief to its gambling competitors.

The Seminole Indian compact review committee voted 15-0 to reject both the governor's gambling agreement and the $225 million the tribe had set aside for the state's education system if a compact had been completed. It then voted 15-2 to lower the tax rate on slot machines at South Florida parimutuels and loosened some gambling limits.

The next step, House leaders say, is for the federal government to shut down slot machines and blackjack tables at the tribe's casinos until a compact is signed.

"This is a signal to the federal government — among many other signals that have occurred over the past year," said Rep. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, who chairs the committee. "Hopefully, it will be a signal that is not lost on them."

In November, House Speaker Larry Cretul sent a letter to the National Indian Gaming Commission, which regulates tribal gaming, urging it to halt the tribe's casino games because their "ability to profit from these illegal games creates a disincentive to enter into a compact, and places the state at a significant disadvantage in negotiating games to which it never gave its consent."

The tribe is running Las Vegas-style slot machines, blackjack, baccarat and other table games based on a 2007 compact that was invalidated by the Florida Supreme Court because it allowed the tribe to operate games that were illegal under Florida law. Crist signed a new compact with the tribe Aug. 31, but it is not valid unless the Legislature ratifies it.

National Indian Gaming Commission spokesman Shawn Pensoneau said the agency is monitoring the compact issue, but said there would be no immediate action. Galvano said he expects a decision could come this month.

Crist called the Thursday vote disappointing, but remained optimistic an agreement will be reached by the end of the annual legislative session in May.

"We obviously have a long way to go before the end of session, so there is plenty of time for the Florida Legislature to approve a plan that would direct billions of dollars to Florida schools for years to come," he said.

Legislators said they rejected the governor's proposal primarily because it kept Florida's parimutuels at a permanent disadvantage to the tribe.

Miami Herald staff writer Michael Vasquez contributed to this report.

Legislators reject Seminole gambling deal 01/14/10 [Last modified: Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:09pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Music, memories, friendships lend energy to 'Senior Prom'

    Aging

    RIVERVIEW — Mesmerizing music mixed with the mingling of friends to energize and engage a congregation of old souls Thursday (June 22).

    Louise Goff of Brandon does line dances during the annual Senior Prom hosted by Hillsborough County Aging Services at the Regent in Brandon.
  2. Tampa's two 'Olivias' maintain friendship as they vie for Miss Florida

    News

    TAMPA — Olivia Butler, referring to a Biblical passage, assesses her burgeoning friendship with Olivia Fiss as "iron sharpening iron."

    Olivia Butler, left, and Olivia Fiss are two friends who are competing together in the Miss Florida pageant as Miss Tampa and Miss St. Petersburg.
  3. Jones: Bucs need success to get national respect

    Bucs

    Tampa Bay Times columnist Tom Jones offers up his Two Cents on the world of sports.

    No respect

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Dirk Koetter walks the field during the second day of mandatory minicamp at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Fla., on Wednesday, June 14, 2017. LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times
  4. Hopes fade after landslide destroys Chinese village (w/video)

    World

    Crews searching through the night in the rubble left by a landslide that buried a mountain village under tons of soil and rocks in southwestern China found 15 bodies, but more than 110 more people remained missing.

    Vehicles and people line a road leading to the site of a landslide in Xinmo village in Mao County on Saturday in southwestern China’s Sichuan Province. More than 100 people remained missing after the village was buried under tons of rocks and soil.