Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Free-diver from St. Petersburg dies in Bahamas competition

NEW YORK — A man who grew up in St. Petersburg and broke the U.S. constant weight record for free-diving soon after beginning his competitive career last year died Sunday while participating in a tournament in the Bahamas, police said.

Nicholas Mevoli, 32, who most recently lived in New York's Brooklyn borough, died around 2 p.m. off the coast of the Bahamas' Long Island, southeast of the capital of Nassau, officials said.

The Switzerland-based Association Internationale pour le Développement de l'Apnée, or AIDA, a federation for breath-holding diving, released a statement saying Mevoli reached the 72-meter depth of the no-fins dive, swam back to the surface but had trouble breathing while completing surface protocol.

Free-divers, unlike scuba divers, enter the water without air tanks, regulators and hoses and swim to various depths relying entirely on the air in their lungs.

Mevoli's uncle, Paul Mevoli, said Sunday his nephew was a free spirit who grew up loving swimming and got hooked on diving as an 8-year-old boy on trips to the Florida Keys.

"Nobody could do what he did under the water," said Paul Mevoli, 55, a dentist in St. Petersburg.

It would take him about 2 minutes and 45 seconds to dive down and back up 300 feet of water in just one breath, his uncle said.

"He was very talented," said Paul Mevoli. "Even the people in the free-diving world couldn't believe his skill."

Nicholas Mevoli's Facebook page shows his hometown was St. Petersburg. He worked in the television industry in New York and was writing a screenplay about a young man on a boat and his adventures in the Florida Keys, his uncle said.

Mevoli was an accomplished free-diver, winning or placing highly in various international free-diving tournaments.

Free-diver from St. Petersburg dies in Bahamas competition 11/17/13 [Last modified: Monday, November 18, 2013 7:06pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Gov. Rick Scott vetoes 'liquor wall' repeal

    Blogs
  2. 'Liquor wall' staying up in Florida after Gov. Scott's veto

    Gubernatorial

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida's liquor wall, which was been around since Prohibition ended, will remain standing after a bill to tear it down was vetoed by Gov. Rick Scott.

  3. To catch a poacher: Florida wildlife officers set up undercover gator farm sting

    Wildlife

    To catch a ring of poachers who targeted Florida's million-dollar alligator farming industry, state wildlife officers created the ultimate undercover operation.

    To catch a ring of poachers who targeted Florida's million-dollar alligator farming industry, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission set up an undercover operation. They created their own alligator farm, complete with plenty of real, live alligators, watched over by real, live undercover wildlife officers. It also had hidden video cameras to record everything that happened. That was two years ago, and on Wednesday wildlife officers announced that they arrested nine people on  44 felony charges alleging they broke wildlife laws governing alligator harvesting, transporting eggs and hatchlings across state lines, dealing in stolen property, falsifying records, racketeering and conspiracy. The wildlife commission released these photos of alligators, eggs and hatchlings taken during the undercover operation. [Courtesy of Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission]
  4. Trump has Mar-a-Lago employee working on government trip, report says

    Blogs

    The following is from Buzzfeed News:

    A top Mar-a-Lago employee is also working for the government to help prepare for President Trump's visit to Taormina, Italy, for the G-7 Summit — an unconventional arrangement that further blurs the line between the president's business empire and the White House.

  5. Manchester bombing victims include at least 7 parents

    World

    LONDON — The world has been horrified by how young many of the victims in the Manchester bombing were, but on Wednesday, attention shifted to parents of concertgoers who were also killed. Seven have been identified, among them a couple who left behind two orphaned daughters.

    Roussos