PINELLAS PARK — A gas leak that prompted the evacuation of Morgan Fitzgerald Middle School has been contained, police said.
Constructions crews hit the gas line as they drilled into the ground to install lighting about 10:25 a.m. Thursday, police said.
Students were moved to the south side of the building away from the leak, which occurred along 118 Avenue N in front of the school. Students were not sent home and school officials urged parents not to go to the school because the road was closed between the 6300 and 6500 blocks.
Students have since returned to their classrooms, and police were working to reopen the road about 11:15 a.m.
TECO workers were on scene.
Follow This Just In on Twitter.