Overcast64° WeatherOvercast64° Weather

Shaving cream explosion injures Largo man

LARGO — Fire engines and an ambulance rushed to a quiet residential street Wednesday after a man called 911 to report an explosion.

Emergency responders found the man waiting outside a home on Sixth Avenue NE. He had a red gash under one eye and white liquid on his shirt.

The liquid, he told them, was shaving cream.

The unidentified man, about 50 years old, just wanted a hot shave Wednesday morning, said Largo Fire Division Chief Dave Mixson. So he heated his can of shaving cream on the kitchen stove.

The can blew up, hurling aluminum shards at his face.

"Not a good idea, in my estimation," Mixson said.

The man's injuries appeared to be minor, Mixson said, but he was taken by ambulance to Largo Medical Center for closer inspection.

There was no damage to the house.

It isn't advisable to heat metal cans, Mixson said.

Want a hot shave without a trip to the emergency room?

Try visiting a responsible barber. Or purchase a heated shaving cream dispenser, available at Walmart for $65.

Shaving cream explosion injures Largo man 04/03/13 [Last modified: Thursday, April 4, 2013 9:12am]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...