Clear79° FULL FORECASTClear79° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Man badly injured helping set off fireworks show at Pasco fairgrounds

DADE CITY — A 49-year-old man suffered burns and shrapnel wounds to his face and hands after a firework exploded prematurely, causing the cancellation of a fireworks show at the Pasco County Fairgrounds on Wednesday night, authorities said.

The man, who worked for the company putting on the show, was injured when a mortar exploded right after clearing the launch tube, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. He was transported via helicopter to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries.

The Fire Marshal and Pasco Fire Rescue will investigate, the Sheriff's Office said.

The fireworks show is expected to be rescheduled for Thursday evening.

A spectator said the show had gone on for only seconds when it suddenly stopped, and the sound of sirens filled the air.

Man badly injured helping set off fireworks show at Pasco fairgrounds 07/04/12 [Last modified: Thursday, July 5, 2012 10:29am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...