DADE CITY — A 49-year-old man suffered burns and shrapnel wounds to his face and hands after a firework exploded prematurely, causing the cancellation of a fireworks show at the Pasco County Fairgrounds on Wednesday night, authorities said.
The man, who worked for the company putting on the show, was injured when a mortar exploded right after clearing the launch tube, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. He was transported via helicopter to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries.
The Fire Marshal and Pasco Fire Rescue will investigate, the Sheriff's Office said.
The fireworks show is expected to be rescheduled for Thursday evening.
A spectator said the show had gone on for only seconds when it suddenly stopped, and the sound of sirens filled the air.