Toxic gas released but no contamination
One Safford Avenue home was evacuated Thursday afternoon when a 32-gallon drum of sodium hydrosulfite began fuming, giving off a toxic gas, according to Tarpon Springs Fire Rescue. "It was sealed, but there were some holes in the lid and moisture got in," said Tarpon Springs fire district Chief David Sharp. "The product reacts with water and can produce toxic fumes." The product is used to remove iron from sponges, Sharp said. The incident happened about 1:30 p.m. at the Limnos Sponge Co. at 331 N Safford Ave. No injuries were reported. Authorities established a one-block perimeter and evacuated a home that was nearby, but outside of the 150-foot radius, as a precaution. The resident of the home was allowed to return after air quality tests showed no contamination, Sharp said. Officials contacted the manufacturer of the chemical, which is sending a representative to assist a county hazardous materials team in disposing of the barrel, Sharp said.
Head out to Art in the Park on Saturday
Sponsored by the Cultural Affairs Advisory Board of the city of Oldsmar, Art In the Park features a fine art exhibit and sale, performing arts, demonstrations of various art mediums, theater skits and art-related activities for children from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at R.E. Olds Park, 107 Shore Drive W. Admission is free. Refreshments will be available. For information, call (813) 749-1260 or visit ci.oldsmar.fl.us.
Picnic and learn Pinellas history
The 46th annual Pinellas Pioneer Picnic is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday in Shelter 6 at Philippe Park, 2525 Philippe Parkway. Anyone interested in learning about and preserving the history of Pinellas County is encouraged to join in the fun and socializing. Bring your own picnic basket of food and eating utensils. The Charmonizers Barbershop Quartet will entertain. Call Bob DeLack at (727) 441-1338.
Motorcycle, pickup collide in Clearwater