Clear70° FULL FORECASTClear70° FULL FORECAST
Make us your home page
Instagram

Residents evacuated, one hospitalized after gas leak in Largo

LARGO — Residents of the Avesta Jasper apartments noticed a strange odor early Thursday, so around 9:30 a.m. they called 911.

Largo firefighters soon found the source: The tenant in apartment 3 had left her gas stove turned on.

"It had been a slow leak all night," said Largo fire Division Chief Dave Mixson.

The woman complained of a headache and was transported by ambulance to a local hospital, Mixson said. Firefighters evacuated 20 to 30 apartments at 55 Jasper St. while Clearwater Gas inspected the building.

By 10:45 a.m., Mixson said, the residents were allowed back inside and the woman who may have been exposed to gas all night was in stable condition.

Residents evacuated, one hospitalized after gas leak in Largo 05/09/13 [Last modified: Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:47am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...