Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

After 18 hours in gulf, missing fishermen brought ashore

ST. PETERSBURG — They talked in the Gulf of Mexico darkness all night long. Every half-hour or so, they asked each other, "You still there?"

The longtime fishing buddies clung to the bow of a 23-foot Century fishing boat as 4-foot waves smacked against the hull. Their hands burned from gripping a rope and, at a certain point, they couldn't feel the stings from the jellyfish.

Electrical trouble had killed the radio distress signal. They wondered if anyone would come save them. But about noon Saturday, after 18 hours stranded 20 miles west of the Clearwater coast, a Coast Guard C-130 plane circled overhead.

A few hours later, the fishermen hugged relieved relatives at the Coast Guard Station in St. Petersburg.

"I'm just dead tired," said skipper Gilbert A. Gastineau, 69.

Gastineau and his mates — Kenneth Harper, 55, of Colorado, and Randy Waldorf, 49, of Kansas — suffered from dehydration and bumps and bruises. Gastineau was taken to Bayfront Medical Center for observation after becoming light-headed on shore.

Family members were grateful for their safe return.

"We were just trying to stay optimistic the whole time," said Gastineau's granddaughter, Rachael Fulghum, 20, of Tampa.

The men have been fishing together about 10 years. Gastineau is a retired community college professor who bought the boat and named it School's Out when he retired in 2002. Harper is a former medical physicist for the Air Force. Waldorf owns a real estate title company.

They had set out about 9:30 a.m. Friday from the Seminole Boat Ramp in Clearwater. They planned to fish for grouper about 40 miles offshore but ran into rough seas and dropped anchor.

They had caught nine grouper, including one 22-pound keeper, when the bilge started to take on water. The engine wouldn't start, and they suspected a faulty fuel pump. The radio wasn't working, and the men did not have an emergency position indicating radio beacon, commonly referred to as an EPIRB. As water filled the boat, they tied themselves to the bow and prayed. Eventually, the boat capsized.

"Scary, unsettling, but at the same time, we all kept our cool," Harper said.

At 7:30 p.m., Gastineau's daughter, Dawn Fulghum, 44, of Palm Harbor, called 911 and told authorities where her father might be.

"The fact that his family knew where he was supposed to be going greatly improved the chances in this case," said Petty Officer Robert Simpson, a Coast Guard spokesman.

The Coast Guard searched until after midnight and resumed searching Saturday morning. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission also had a boat looking for the men.

During the night, the fishermen held onto the boat and focused on surviving. Time went fast, Gastineau said.

When the C-130 saw them, the Coast Guard issued an alert asking for assistance from nearby boats. The Bucket List, which was participating in a nearby fishing tournament, picked up the stranded boaters and brought them to shore. They ate fruit and cookies and reflected on their good fortune.

Gastineau's boat was hauled back to land, and all the men said they will go fishing again.

Times staff writer Kameel Stanley contributed to this report. Luis Perez can be reached at (727)892-2271 or

After 18 hours in gulf, missing fishermen brought ashore 11/13/10 [Last modified: Saturday, November 13, 2010 10:57pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Necropsy confirms drowning as Snooty the manatee's cause of death

    Human Interest

    BRADENTON— The South Florida museum aquarium will re-open Tuesday and grief counselors will be available after the untimely death of beloved manatee Snooty.

    Snooty, the Manatee County mascot, turned 60 in 2008. Hundreds of people came to the Parker Manatee Aquarium to see Snooty at his birthday party. He was the first manatee to have a recorded birth date on July 21, 1948.

 [Times (2008)]
  2. Charlie Gard's parents withdraw legal action over their sick baby


    LONDON — The parents of critically ill baby Charlie Gard dropped their legal bid Monday to send him to the United States for experimental treatment after new medical tests showed it could no longer help.

    Chris Gard and Connie Yates, the parents of critically ill infant Charlie Gard, arrive at the Royal Courts of Justice in London ahead of the latest High Court hearing in London Monday July 24, 2017. They  returned  to the court for the latest stage in their effort to seek permission to take the child to the United States for medical treatment. Britain's High Court is considering new evidence in the case of Charlie Gard. The 11-month-old has a rare genetic condition, and his parents want to take him to America to receive an experimental treatment. [Jonathan Brady | PA via AP]
  3. Restaurant review: Food and beer pair nicely at the Eatery at Brew Bus Terminal and Brewery

    Food & Dining

    TAMPA - Tampa Bay's craft beer scene is perennially in flux. New breweries open, others close or get scooped up by bigger breweries, some reinvent themselves so they can sell beer off site, and still others build on kitchens and add food to give enthusiasts another reason to sit tight.

    Pimento cheese with zucchini pickles, lavash and Jamison B. Breadhouse Bakes crostini is on the menu.
  4. For starters: Rays vs. Orioles, seeking to halt a skid


    After being swept by the Rangers, and losing four straight, the Rays are looking to get back on track tonight against the Orioles, and they have LHP Blake Snell on the mound.

     Blake Snell will be on the mound tonight.
  5. This 'SNL' writer is cracking up Twitter with his replies to President Donald Trump's tweets


    Josh Patten is a writer for Saturday Night Live. Earlier this month, he began responding to President Donald Trump's tweets as if they were private texts to Patten.