Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Attorney for shooter recently cleared in Palm Harbor 'Stand Your Ground' case says his client just wants to move on and be left alone

PALM HARBOR — Seth Browning has never made any public statements since he shot and killed motorist Brandon Baker earlier this year during a brief road rage incident.

Tampa attorney Patrick Leduc said his client plans to keep it that way.

"He wants to be left alone," Leduc said. "He wants to get on with his life."

Browning, a 23-year-old security guard and specialist in the U.S. Army Reserve, was cleared this week of any criminal wrongdoing in the death of Baker, 30, of Palm Harbor.

Assistant State Attorney William Loughery said Browning was justified in his use of deadly force when he shot Baker after a brief roadside encounter early March 6 near East Lake Road. Browning was following Baker to take down his tag number because he said the older man was driving erratically.

Browning was never arrested after the incident as both the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office and Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office investigated.

For months, people, including Baker's family, have speculated about the outcome of the "Stand Your Ground" case.

Loughery's memo, released Monday, cited the controversial Florida law, which says people are not required to retreat before using deadly force. But the report also adds that even without that law, Browning still might not have been charged.

Despite witness statements to the contrary, Baker, who was later found to have alcohol and cocaine in his system, "attacked Seth Browning as he sat in his vehicle," Loughery wrote.

Leduc said on Tuesday that his client didn't even have enough time to take his vehicle out of drive before Baker attacked him through the window.

Browning first pepper-sprayed, then shot Baker.

"It's sad that this happened, but Mr. Browning did nothing wrong," Leduc said. "The impression that he was playing wanna-be cop is false. That's not what happened here. … Mr Browning and his family are grateful that this sad and very unfortunate incident appears to now be closed and behind him."

Kameel Stanley can be reached at kstanley@tampabay.com or (727) 893-8643.

Attorney for shooter recently cleared in Palm Harbor 'Stand Your Ground' case says his client just wants to move on and be left alone 09/25/12 [Last modified: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:04pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Review: Mumford and Sons shower Amalie Arena with love in euphoric Tampa debut

    Blogs

    There are releases, and then there are releases. And minutes into their concert Wednesday at Amalie Arena, Mumford and Sons gave Tampa the latter.

    Mumford and Sons performed at Tampa's Amalie Arena on Sept. 20, 2017.
  2. FEMA to open disaster recovery center in Riverview

    Hurricanes

    The Federal Emergency Management Agency said it will open a disaster recovery center Thursday in Riverview for Hillsborough County residents impacted by Hurricane Irma.

  3. Life sentence for man convicted in killing of brother of Bucs' Kwon Alexander

    Bucs

    An Alabama man who shot and killed the 17-year-old brother of Bucs linebacker Kwon Alexander in 2015 was sentenced to life in prison Wednesday, the Anniston (Ala.) Star reported.

  4. Remember him? Numbers prove Ben Zobrist is one of greatest Rays of all time

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — The first foray back to the Trop by the best manager the Rays have had obscured the second return visit by arguably the second-best player in franchise history.

    Figures.

    Chicago Cubs second baseman Ben Zobrist (18) grounds into a double play to end the top of the third inning of the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017.
  5. GOP's new repeal bill would likely leave millions more uninsured, analyses suggest

    Health

    WASHINGTON — The latest Republican bid to roll back the Affordable Care Act would likely leave millions of currently insured Americans without health coverage in the coming decades, and strip benefits and protections from millions more, a growing number of independent studies suggest.

    Vice President Mike Pence listens as President Donald Trump talks to reporters about the Graham-Cassidy health care bill during a meeting with Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi at the Palace Hotel during the United Nations General Assembly, Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017, in New York. [Evan Vucci | Associated Press]