TAMPA — Tampa Bay's problem with celebratory gunfire continued over the New Year's holiday. A bullet shot into the air in Hillsborough County landed in a woman's bathroom.
No injuries were reported over New Year's, which is a change from previous years.
Last year, a woman watching fireworks from a second-floor balcony of the St. Petersburg Yacht Club was struck by a falling bullet shortly after midnight. She was hit in the wrist.
In 2012, a 12-year-old boy, Diego Duran, nearly died after he was hit in the head by a falling bullet as he watched fireworks outside his home in Ruskin. He and his family have since started a charity, Bullet Free Sky, that seeks to educate people about the dangers of firing into the air.
Several local people have been injured or have reported bullets landing in their homes on other holidays, too, including the Fourth of July.
On Wednesday, Hillsborough sheriff's deputies received a call at 9:21 a.m. from a woman who said she had found a hole in her bathroom ceiling in the Davpam Mobile Home Community near Seffner.
A deputy who responded found a .45-caliber bullet in the bathroom.