Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Alert deputy identifies South Pasadena burglary suspect

SOUTH PASADENA — A crack-addicted, serial cat burglar bold enough to stop and make himself a snack while he robbed a house has been caught, authorities said.

Detectives with the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said they believe 32-year-old Joseph Austin Wilson is responsible for at least six burglaries on Robin Road S and Sea Gull Drive S between Jan. 25 and Friday.

The Sheriff's Office had investigated six reports of residential, vehicle, and vessel burglaries during the three-day span, according to a news release. In four of the burglaries, residents were asleep as Wilson stole items such as televisions, cash, blank checks, wallets and credit cards, the Sheriff's Office said.

Two homeowners were able to catch images of Wilson on home security cameras. On Friday, about 11 p.m., a deputy who had reviewed the footage saw Wilson walking in the neighborhood and noticed he looked like the man on the videos.

Wilson, of 6740 Gulfport Blvd., admitted he committed the break-ins, all of which happened between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m., according to the Sheriff's Office.

During one burglary, Wilson said, he made himself a meatball sandwich and drank three beers while the residents were asleep in bed, the Sheriff's Office said.

Wilson said he traded the stolen goods to drug dealers for crack cocaine. None of the items were recovered.

Wilson was charged with four counts of burglary of an occupied structure, three counts of uttering a check with forged instrument and one count each of grand theft and loitering and prowling.

On Tuesday afternoon, Wilson was being held in the Pinellas County Jail in lieu of $50,150 bail.

Alert deputy identifies South Pasadena burglary suspect 02/01/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.