Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Child neglect charge for father of 16-month-old boy who was abducted

ST. PETERSBURG — The father of a 16-month-old boy who disappeared for six hours Friday left his son alone because he was selling drugs, St. Petersburg police said.

Tamarcus Daise has been charged with child neglect, in addition to a charge of obstruction of justice, police said. Daise went into a unit at the Sierra Palms apartments at 17th Street and First Avenue N to make the drug transaction shortly after 4 p.m., police said.

He left his namesake son in a car seat in the back of an idling 2010 Dodge Charger, and when he returned, the vehicle was gone. Daise called police at 4:23 p.m. to report the rental car stolen.

When police got there, Daise, 29, provided "false information" about Tamarcus Daise Jr. that impeded their investigation, they said. The father was released from the Pinellas County Jail early Saturday after posting $10,500 bail.

Meanwhile, the toddler's grandmother, Irma Daniels, said the boy was doing fine and appeared unaffected by the episode.

"I don't know if he was scared or not," Daniels said Saturday. "We're truly blessed. We were glad to get him home. He's just normal, like nothing happened to him."

The child was found unharmed at about 10:20 p.m., sleeping in the red Charger, which was tucked in an alley in the 2100 block of Dartmouth Avenue. The car was found about 10 blocks from where it was stolen, police said.

The father's half brother, Tyreece Rutledge, 27, also was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer. He was released from jail after posting $10,000 bail.

Police said Rutledge pointed a gun at Sgt. Al White as White and other officers were going door to door blocks away from the scene. No shots were fired, and the men were arrested soon after.

Daise has a record of drug arrests starting in 1999, according to state records, and has done two stints in prison. He was sentenced to nearly five years in prison in 1999 for the sale and possession of cocaine, and to another year in 2006 on a separate drug charge.

Child neglect charge for father of 16-month-old boy who was abducted 01/08/11 [Last modified: Saturday, January 8, 2011 9:46pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Clearwater eyes hiring new downtown director within two months

    CLEARWATER — Now that the city director tasked with revitalizing downtown has resigned after his arrest on a battery charge during Oktoberfest, City Manager Bill Horne said the goal is to not leave the position vacant long.

    Clearwater Assistant City Manager  Micah Maxwell will oversee downtown until the city hires a replacement for Seth Taylor.
  2. Tampa Bay's Top 100 Workplaces deadline extended to Nov. 17


    Think you work at one of the best places in Tampa Bay? You've got a little more time to make a pitch.

    Penny Hoarder and Gregory, Sharer & Stuart were among those at an event in Tampa last May honoring winners of the Tampa Bay Times Top Workplaces awards. Nominations are now open for this year.  
[OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Little separates McElwain and Muschamp eras of futility at Florida


     Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain watches the second quarter of the Florida Gators game against Texas A&M, at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, in Gainesville.
  4. Tampa-based Checkers testing delivery, aims for record expansion


    TAMPA — Tampa-based Checkers Drive-In Restaurants continues to fly under the radar compared to dominant burger chains like McDonald's and Burger King.

    Checkers Franchisee Shaji Joseph, of Tampa, hoses down the front walkway of his store at 6401 Park Boulevard, Pinellas Park. The business has a new look including signage and exterior tile. One drive through has been eliminated for an outdoor dining area, right. Joseph owns nine Checkers and is planning to open his tenth in Tampa.
[SCOTT KEELER   |   Times ]
  5. Advice for presidents from military families they've tried to console


    One family returned the letter because it was full of errors. Another was left cold when the letter they got screamed "robo-pen." Still another was puzzled to find 17 copies of their letter in the mailbox.

    Army Chief Warrant Officer 3 Aaron Cowan, 37, was killed in a helicopter training accident in South Korea on Feb. 26, 2005. [Courtesy of Kari Cowan]