Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Frightening report of gunfire at Clearwater elementary school was a hoax

Clearwater police officers pack up after searching Belleair Elementary during an hourlong lockdown that caused confusion among students and agony for parents. Police found no evidence of a shooter or gunfire.

JIM DAMASKE | Times

Clearwater police officers pack up after searching Belleair Elementary during an hourlong lockdown that caused confusion among students and agony for parents. Police found no evidence of a shooter or gunfire.

CLEARWATER — An apparent prank call about gunfire at Belleair Elementary School put students through an hour of confusion and parents through an hour of agony Tuesday afternoon as the school was locked down and rapidly surrounded by dozens of police cruisers and officers armed with assault rifles.

A 911 call reporting gunshots was made from an unidentified cellphone at 2:53 p.m., as school was letting out for the day, Clearwater public safety spokeswoman Elizabeth Watts said. The school went into lockdown six minutes later, according to Pinellas schools spokeswoman Melanie Marquez Parra.

Children who were already outside the 690-student school at the corner of Missouri Avenue and Lakeview Road in Clearwater were herded off-campus by police, while the rest were ordered into locked classrooms or kept on the school buses they had already boarded. After officers searched the school and found no evidence of gunshots or a shooter, the remaining pupils inside were released about 4:15 p.m.

In the meantime, hundreds of parents, some weeping with fear or shouting with anger, gathered at the fringes of the school property. Some said they were upset by what they described as a lack of adequate communication about the incident from school officials, claiming that no formal notification call had been put out informing them of a potentially dangerous incident.

"I called about six times," said Diane Ellison, 43, waiting across Lakeview Road to pick up her 10-year-old grandson, who was still inside. She said she had only gotten an answering machine at the school's office. "The system that they got, it isn't working."

Sherrie Wilson said she planned to withdraw two children she has enrolled at Belleair Elementary after the confusion and fear surrounding the Tuesday lockdown. She said she had received no notification Tuesday afternoon.

"There's only three months left this school year and I hate to transfer them but ... I'm done. It's too much," the 26-year-old Largo woman said. "I want to know any little thing that happens. This is elementary school, not high school where (the students) have cellphones and can call."

However, Parra said a call went out to parents about 3:30 p.m., alerting them to the lockdown and police presence. There was a half-hour delay because "the priority was the safety and security of the students and following direction of law enforcement," Parra said. She said she could not speculate as to why some parents said they did not receive the message.

Tuesday's false alarm was the second time Belleair Elementary has gone into lockdown in as many months. On Jan. 7, police received a report of an armed man chasing someone near the school. That lockdown lasted less than 40 minutes. No students were harmed.

Watts said police continue to investigate who might have made the hoax call that began the lockdown Tuesday.

Times staff writer Mike Brassfield contributed to this report. Peter Jamison can be reached at pjamison@tampabay.com or (727) 445-4157.

Frightening report of gunfire at Clearwater elementary school was a hoax 02/26/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:00pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Tim Tebow Week: 12 stories from his Tampa Bay tour

    Minors

    Alas, Tim Tebow Week — eight baseball games in eight nights that reunited Tebow with his Tampa Bay friends and admirers — is over. The fun ended Thursday night.

    St. Lucie Mets outfielder Tim Tebow meets fans and signs autographs before the beginning of the Mets at Threshers game at Spectrum Field on Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017 in Clearwater. DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD   |   Times

  2. Democrat Philip Levine won't attack Trump. Can he be Florida governor?

    Perspective

    If he decides to run, Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine will be the most enigmatic and unpredictable candidate for Florida governor in 2018.

    Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine is introduced before speaking at a Tampa Tiger Bay Club meeting at the Ferguson Law Center in Tampa on May 19. (LOREN ELLIOTT   |   Times)
  3. What you need to know for Friday, Aug. 18

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Read 'Hellfire from Above,' inside the Tampa Electric Co. power plant accident that left five people dead. [LUIS SANTANA | Times]
  4. Tampa is training ground for Team USA inline skating

    Human Interest

    TAMPA — The United States once dominated the sport known as international outdoor inline speed skating.

    Cotton Yarborough is one of five people from the Tampa Bay area on the national inline speed skating team. The team is competing in the world championships Aug. 27 in China. [Courtesy of Frank Holland]
  5. Grocery and hotel deals in reach for Tampa Encore project

    Economic Development

    TAMPA — After failing to land both Publix and Walmart, the Tampa Housing Authority says it is close to a deal to bring another well-known grocer to its Encore project.

    The Tampa Housing Authority's Encore project has housing like The Reed, pictured, but no retail. It is in talks to bring a grocer and two hotels to the site on the west side of Nebraska Avenue close to downtown Tampa.