Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Court filing shows Temple Terrace police checking new leads in Sandra Prince case

TEMPLE TERRACE — The first recent sign of movement in the case of Sandra Prince surfaced in court Wednesday, weeks after police offered a $100,000 reward for information about her death.

At a news conference last month, where Temple Terrace police officially classified the 2006 case a homicide, detectives said they were following new leads.

One recent lead appears to come from an interview police had this week with Prince's gardener, David Jarrett.

According to a search warrant affidavit filed in Hillsborough Circuit Court, the gardener told police that about six months before her Jan. 3, 2006, disappearance, Prince had a "falling out" with Patrick Pippin, the son of her boyfriend, Earl Pippin III.

Patrick Pippin wanted to stay in one of Prince's Lake Panasoffkee homes rent-free, Jarrett told police, according to the affidavit. The gardener urged Prince to charge him rent. After that, Patrick Pippin and Prince had a falling out, Jarrett told police.

That interview appears to be the reason for the police's court filing. Investigators needed a judge's permission to open a letter that Prince had sent Patrick Pippin. It was postmarked Dec. 17, 2005, about two weeks before the likely date of her death.

The letter appears to never have reached Pippin. The U.S. Post Office returned it to Prince with the stamping of "no mail receptacle."

Police took the letter from her house in January 2006, when the case was still classified as a missing-person case. At the time, they did not think it would contain anything useful or important, said Temple Terrace city spokesman Michael Dunn. So they did not immediately file a search warrant affidavit.

Police did not disclose the letter's contents Wednesday.

Pippin's father, Earl Pippin III, has been classified a "person of interest" in the case since 2007.

But Patrick Pippin is not, and investigators do not even know for sure if there was any falling out between Prince and the younger Pippin.

"It's something they're looking into," Dunn said.

Earl Pippin III had been Prince's boyfriend of five years and was the sole beneficiary of her $3.6 million estate.

Times staff writer Stephanie Bolling contributed to this report.

Court filing shows Temple Terrace police checking new leads in Sandra Prince case 01/23/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 11:37pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Fennelly: Bucs' Roberto Aguayo has his backers, no matter how many kicks he misses

    Bucs

    He was perfect Friday, and not just because he didn't have to kick.

    Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Roberto Aguayo (19) takes a photo with fans following the first day of training camp at One Buccaneer Place in Tampa, Fla., on Friday, July 28, 2017.
  2. Starbucks to close all Teavana locations, including five in Tampa Bay

    Retail

    Local Teavana locations include Tyrone Square in St. Petersburg, International Plaza and Westfield Citrus Park in Tampa, Brandon and Clearwater.

    Starbucks announced Thursday plans to shut down all 379 Teavana stores, citing "underperformance." Starbucks acquired the mall-based tea chain for $620 million in 2012. [ CANDICE CHOI | AP file photo]
  3. What to watch this weekend: 'The Last Tycoon,' 'Room 104,' 'Rick and Morty'

    Blogs

    Checking in: Room 104

    Listen up, fans of Hitchcock and American Horror Story. Room 104 might be your next obsession. With a premise that feels experimental, Room 104 explores one of film's most traditional styles - telling a story from the inside of just one room. The HBO series is from …

    Rick and Morty returns on Sunday for a third season.
  4. Rubio: I intend to keep campaign promises on Obamacare

    Blogs

    WASHINGTON - Sen. Marco Rubio says he remains committed to overturning Obamacare following the collapse of the latest attempt.

  5. Family spokeswoman: British baby Charlie Gard has died

    World

    LONDON — Charlie Gard, the critically ill British baby at the center of a legal battle that attracted the attention of Pope Francis and U.S. President Donald Trump, has died. He would have turned 1 next week.

    This is an undated photo of sick baby Charlie Gard provided by his family, taken at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. [Family of Charlie Gard via AP]